PDF to TFF/JPEG

Moderator: jsachs

Jaakko
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon G1X

PDF to TFF/JPEG

Post by Jaakko »

Have got valuable WW2 charts in PDF. Must/wish to convert them to TIFF/JPEG for processing in PW Pro 64. Can the PDF charts be converted in PW Pro ? Or experiences of a good outside PDF to TIFF/JPEG converter are very welcome. Jaakko
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Re: PDF to TFF/JPEG

Post by HanSch »

I never tried to open a PDF in PWP; as far as I know that isn't possible, but I might be wrong.
You could try IrfanView (free) with the necessary plug-ins; you can convert to a specified resolution and/or size and save as TIFF or JPEG.
mjdl
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nokia N8-00

Post by mjdl »

Jaakko wrote:Have got valuable WW2 charts in PDF. Must/wish to convert them to TIFF/JPEG for processing in PW Pro 64. Can the PDF charts be converted in PW Pro ? Or experiences of a good outside PDF to TIFF/JPEG converter are very welcome. Jaakko
For years I've used the free PDF24 virtual printer under successive versions of MS Windows, mainly to print to PDF files from any program that can print. Excellent software! It comes with an extra program, the "PDF Creator", which can load any PDF, edit it, and save PDF pages to a variety of graphic formats (but I've only rarely used it to extract or delete pages from a PDF file). Worth looking into for your purposes, I believe, even if I can't claim to have used it in that way.
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

At my expierience in a PDF a graphic is stored at the same resolution as the whole PDF, means there is no bigger resolution graphic in a PDF.
So, when you set the PDF viewer to 100% Size, and make a screenshot and paste it to PWP you get the most thats in the PDF.
If the graphic is bigger then the hight of the screen, maybe you can rotate the PDF 90 degrees to make it fit your screen.
Thats how I dealt with extracting graphics from PDFs so far, never felt the need for a external program.
Does anybody know if there can be higher resolution graphics can be saved in a PDF that can't be get with the 100% method ?
Btw, it can be easily checked if the graphic has higher resolution by zooming in, if you go to 400% and see the graphic pixilating, you don't get more then you get with a 100% screenshot.
I have never found one, but doesn't mean it is not possible.
Dieter Mayr
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Adobe Acrobat Standard (NOT the free Acrobat Reader) can rasterize and export PDF files to TIFF, JPEG or PNG at various resolutions up to 2400 dpi. PDF is mostly a vector format and is thus resolution-independent. It does however allow for embedded images which do have a resolution, but for charts this probably does not come into play. Unfortunately Acrobat is not free, although it is very good at creating PDF files from scanned images which is what I mostly use it for. InkScape (which is a free Adobe Illustrator type program) can also import PDF files and can export them as PNG files as a settable resolution. There must be other programs that can do this as well.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MEngland
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon

Post by MEngland »

The free product, PDF-XChange viewer will export and convert PDF files into many image formats including TIFF and JPEG. The command is File>Export
Mahn England