Moderator: jsachs

Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Size of the Transformation windows

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Jonathan, Kiril,

Based on David's thread about slider precision
http://www.dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1224
I was wondering what others think of making the Windows for the Transformations that use sliders wider at default?
With respect to todays monitor sizes and resolutions I would think that doubling the with of the slider should not bring any monitor real estate problems.
I usually widen my windows when using sliders by about 100%, on a 23 inch monitor, 1920 x 1080 pixel, without having the feeling of loosing room on the monitor.
What do others think about it ?
I understood that some (Maciej, Janet, ... if I recall right) run PWP on a Netbook for travelling, would it be a problem for you ?
Maybe it would be possible to save the sizes of a transformation window, so it would pop up the same size as it was used before.

Just spinning some thoughts and ideas here.
Feel free to do the same :)
Dieter Mayr
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Size of the Transformation windows

Post by den »

Dieter...

I was exploring the "File/Preferences/Font Size Scale Factor" settings... ...changing this factor seems to change the overall pixel dimensions of most transform dialogs that contain slider scales... ...whether this makes the scale more accurate or not, I did not explore but it does make it easier to click-hold-drag-release the sliders... ...rounding may account for differences in the actual digital numbers that appear in the boxes which generally I go by rather than the scale markings... ...and I don't get too excited if 50.0% shows as 49.8 or 50.2 percent, for example.

Try a Factor = 100%, than change the Factor to 135%, for example. You will have to say Yes to save the setting changes plus closing and re-opening PWP.

The only transform that does not display completely on my laptop [1366x768 pixels] is "Stack Images" which it has previously been suggested to have a select-able number of Input image provisions rather than the full number of 16 available with v7.0.19.

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Sliders are currently implemented to have a resolution of 1 part in 1024, i.e. there are 1024 possible slider values. Some sliders are scaled nonlinearly so the difference between two adjacent slider positions may vary over the slider range.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Den, I played around with the scale factor, and setting the factor over about 120% requires to make the browser images bigger to see the information I want (I use medium as a good compromise for me between visibility and using of screen realestate).
Settings above 120 makes the texts too big for my taste, when I concentrate on small details in an image and have to look at that huge text the next moment to make a setting.
A setting of 120% doesn't bring that much of a improvement in slider operation in my opinion. I do prefer draging the transformation window longer (and/or use the Shift-click method) for critical settings.
Dieter Mayr