antialiasing

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

antialiasing

Post by davidh »

There is no antialiase option in the Watercolor transformation. I understand that antialiase can be achieved by upsampling and then downsampling. I tried to upsample by 500% and then back down to 20% but still see visible raggedness, even after repeating the steps several times.
Are there any recomended values, or do they depend on the image dimensions? Thanks.

David.
jsachs

Re: antialiasing

Post by jsachs »

If you want finer detail, increase the Max Dimension setting - otherwise there isn't really anything you can do to make the image smoother without reducing the watercolor effect.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I would think that the way to anti-alias would be to down sample first and then upsample -- this would produce a smoother but blurrier version of the image. Upsampling and then downsampling should have a minimal effect.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

By first upsampling and then downsampling I tried to simulate the procedure behind antialiasing behind Posterize transformation as described in a previous post, here:
http://www.dl-c.com/board/viewtopic.php ... 1060#p5002

However, while it is possible to posterize upsampled image and then downsample the result, is not possible to follow those steps in watercolor because the watercolor effect depends also on the Max Dimension setting: the bigger Max Dimension the less watercolor effect.

Anyway, recomended down-then-up sampling saves multiple up-then-down samplings. I have also got fairly acceptable results for my purposes with additional methods such as Detail Control of Brightness Curve with Detail = 0, Threshold = 100 and Radius at minimum = 1, or with Bilateral Sharpen with similar settings and no sharpening, and also with Advanced Sharpen where it is even possible to set Blur Radius to < 1.

David