Image selection list in Stack Images too short

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Image selection list in Stack Images too short

Post by MarkT »

Hi,

I may be missing something, I'm trying to enter 16 images into the Stack Images transformation, but the input selection drop down list only displays 11 images. There isn't a scroll option to get to the remaining images. All 16 images are open. How do I get to select all of the images?

Also, the selection list starts with image "1", then shows "16", "15", etc. stopping at "7". Is there a way to have the selection list show the images in a continous order, i.e., 1,2,3,4... or 16, 15, 14...?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mark
jsachs

Re: Image selection list in Stack Images too short

Post by jsachs »

If you drag the cursor past the top or bottom items in the image list, it will scroll. Unfortunately, the order cannot be changed.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Thank you Jonathan.

Of interest, I am experimenting with the Median Bland option in Stack Images to reduce noise in high ISO images. With a nikon 1 V3 at ISO 6400, a single image is really noisy. Taking a rapid sequence of images (the V3 can shoot at 20 fps for a 2-second burst) and running 16 of the images through the Median Blend, noise is very effectively cleaned up, as well or better than Neat Image Ver. 7 can manage. I'll post some resulting images once I get a chance.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Median is commonly used for noise reduction - not sure if the results would be significantly better than just averaging all the images as there can be some minor loss of detail from using median, but it depends on the images. Either will reduce noise unless the same exact noise pattern appears in each image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

By averaging do you mean using the default "blend" operation? I just tried it and you are right, both median and blend results look very similar. Using 16 images seems to give cleaner results than using 8, but I'm maybe being a little too picky...

Thank you for your help and suggestions Jonathan.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Yes, the default blend operation performs a weighted average - if all the amounts are the same it does a straight average.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color