Warp Transform

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Warp Transform

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

Thanks very much for your continued patience.

I am attaching an image that I did with 2 point alignment, to better explain what I am trying to accomplish with multi-point. As you can see, although the shadow (I just did blend mode so it is visually clearer) lines up pretty well, because the bottom of the log and top of the mask are not a straight line, there are visible and obvious gaps, which a shadow would not show. I thought I could use multi=point to lay a number of points along the border between the two and then move the points to bring the shadow closer to the log at those gaps. I am doing this image for some people who are a bit picky and I know they will not accept the appearance of these gaps.

You suggest using two point to get them pretty close, then multi to finish.

I was unclear if you meant switching to multi immediately after 2 point and before clicking OK. If I do that, things get screwy because in the input image point 1 remains, the line between 1 and 2 remains, but point 2 becomes the right edge of the overlay outline (this becomes an issue because the overlay image is smaller than the input and initially doing 2 point puts point 2 out of the boundary of the overlay outline) and point 3 is added to the top left of the input image, also further skewing the overlay outline. So this method did not work.

So, I followed your other suggestion to generate a mask for the newly placed shadow, by repeating the 2 point alignment to make a mask the same size as the input image. Once done, I tried a multi-point alignment, using a duplicate of the original image compositing on itself with a Filter mode, and the new mask. I, again, laid out a number of alignment points along the bottom of the log, but as soon as I started to move the points in the Input image (leaving the three corner points alone), things went all crazy again in the preview and I could not complete the operation because I could not judge my progress, and did not know how/where to move the rest of the alignment points.

As it appears multi-point and I do not get along, it appears I will have to try some other method. Or perhaps multi-point is just not meant to do what I am trying?

By the way, if I may make a suggestion to have a reset button in the Composite dialogue. If I composite two images using 2 point alignment, then later wish to use 3,4 or multi-point alignment, even if the overlay image is a different size, the dialogue remembers points 1 and 2 from the initial composite and things become difficult right off the bat. To get rid of this "memory" one has to close all the images, then close and re-open PWP. Perhaps, a reset button would solve this problem.

Regards,
Marv
Attachments
2-point-align.jpg
2-point-align.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

As with all the other transformations, if you hold down the shift key while you select the transformation from the main menu, you will reset the settings.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

For photo-realism, shadow gradients need to be addressed as well as shadow outline with blurred edges away from the visual element in the image... ...best seen in black [the visual element], gray [the shadows radiating away from the visual element oposite the direction of the light source], and white [the original background Hue, Saturations, and Values]... ...this image can be used to tone-map the Hues and Saturations upon which the shadow(s) fall...
Marpel_seaside-2_shadow_gradients.jpg
Marpel_seaside-2_shadow_gradients.jpg (12 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
...den...