Browser window question

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Browser window question

Post by Marpel »

I seem to recall that this may have been asked some years ago, but I am unable to find the relative post.

Is there a way to "reorganize" the numbered images in the Browser window so the numbers are sequential (i.e. 1,2,3, etc) rather than all the numbers beginning with 1 (i.e. 1,102,1345, etc) followed by all the numbers beginning with 2, and on and on? Two examples - I often generate double digit masks for an image that I am working on and find it confusing to locate mask 35 prior to mask 4 as an example. And I also re-number images after working on them (and remove the Nikon generated letter-prefix) and find it confusing to look for image 440, as an example, prior to image 5.

Thanks,

Marv
ksinkel

Re: Browser window question

Post by ksinkel »

Sorting by name is alphabetical, so 35 alphabetizes ahead of 4. The way around it is to use leading zeros with single digits. Then 04, for instance, would alphabetize ahead of 35.

When PWP generates numbers, for numerical months or sequence numbers for example, they are padded out by leading zeros so they would sort.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Thanks Kiril,

You've only touched on a two digit number, but does that mean I would have to add more "pre" 0's if the files go into the hundreds, or even thousands?

Marv
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Yes, decide how many digits you want to allow and pad out your numbers using leading zeros as required to keep the number of digits constant. If you notice, raw file numbers assigned by the camera generally follow this practice as well.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color