Reasons to keep 32 and 64 bit versions of PWP ?

Moderator: jsachs

Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Reasons to keep 32 and 64 bit versions of PWP ?

Post by Dieter Mayr »

The latest update made me think if it is still useful for me to have both 64 and 32 bit versions of PWP on my computer.
I run Windows 10 and I use the 64 bit version as the standard one.
Having the 32 bit version additionally installed dates back to Windows 7 times where I used it to scan via the Twain driver.
As there are issues with Twain and 64 bit and Windows 10, I use a other software now to scan, so I did not use
the 32 bit version since I run Windows 10, at least as far as I remember.
But, as you most probably know, old habits die very slowly, so I kept the 32 bit verion up to date when a new update came.
It's not a matter of disk space, PWP is such a lightweight package, it won't make a difference at all if I keep one or both.
I was just wondering of there would be a other reason to have the 32 bit parallel to the 64 bit version other then scanning.
As I said, I could not remember to have used the 32 bit version since I run Win 10, but that doesn't mean that there could not be a scenario where it could be useful.

Looking forward to your opinions,

Dieter
Dieter Mayr
jsachs

Re: Reasons to keep 32 and 64 bit versions of PWP ?

Post by jsachs »

The only two reasons I know of are:

1) Many scanners do not have a 64-bit Twain driver
2) There is no 64-bit support for PhotoCD

Most scanners come with stand-alone software that simply encapsulates their Twain driver and lets you save the scanned image as a TIFF or JPEG file. This is what I normally use when I need to scan images rather than revert to the 32-bit version.

I did have to resurrect the 32-bit version a few months ago when I decided to transcribe all my old PhotoCD images to my hard drive prior to discarding the original PhotoCDs.

Otherwise the 64-bit version is much more efficient when working with large images so I use it exclusively.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Another reason to keep the 32 bit version is that there are still 32 bit computers around -- both older machines and some lightweight tablet-class new ones. Also, at present it takes almost no additional work to build both versions.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Thanks, Kiril!

As I never have used PhotoCDs and I have a solution for scanning, there is no need for me to keep both versions up to date.
I never thought to not to offer the 32 bit version from your side, I am well aware that there are many that have a need for it,
the question was purely for my personal use of both versions.
Dieter Mayr