Resize

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Resize

Post by davidh »

Set the Operation to for example Fixed Heigt = 19 inches and press OK.
Now, if you reopen the Resize window with the result image loaded, the Resize window remembers the last value, which is 19 inches. But if you want to resize the original image again, the value is multiplied by half the original value which is multiplied again each time you open the Resize transformation with the original image loaded. It makes no difference if you press OK, Cancel or the X button.

Resize window open with the a result image always rememebers the last value, while with the original image always multiplies the value by 0.5.

David
ksinkel

Re: Resize

Post by ksinkel »

David,

I don't see this happening. However, Resize has many parameters all interacting with each other, so I am probably testing a slightly different case from the one you have. Could you send me screen shots of the original resize dialog and then screen shots of the dialog with the new and original images, again. You can send it to support@dl-c.com.

Thanks,

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Kiril, you are right. There is one more setting I overlooked - the change in Resolution from original 360 dpi to new 240 dpi. So when the Resize is loaded with the result image (240 dpi), there is no change in resolution setting (from 240 to 240). But when the Resize is loaded with the original image (360 dpi), there is always change to 240 dpi which somehow causes multiplying each time the Resize window is open.

David
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

The reason that there is a change in resolution is that is one of the settings that you changed in running the dialog previously. You can set the resolution back to 360 if you do not want to change it.

Note that setting an absolute inch size only has meaning if you specify a resolution. Thus the number of pixels in the image will be different at different resolution settings.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Unless you clear the default settings via the Opt menu, you will get the default values from the last time you saved them when the transformation starts up. It is possible that this is what is causing the confusion.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I will try to describe the simplest scenario:

1. Open the Resize window with default values (Resample = Yes, Fixed Height, etc.) loaded with an image with a bigger or smaller resolution than is the default.
2. Do nothing just press Cancel.
3. Reopen the Resize window, do nothing. The Fixed Height value got bigger if the image resolution is higher than the default and vice versa. Press Cancel.
4. Now whenever you reopen and Cancel the Resize window without doing anything else, the image dimensions will grow or shrink until reset to defaults with the Shift key.

Additional observatios:
If the image resolution = default resolution, to get the same results it is necessary to change the Resize Resolution value to get the resolution difference into play. I changed it from 360 to 240).
You might as well press OK or X button but you have to always reopen Resize with the original image again to get the resolution difference into play.

I came across this accidentally when I miss-pressed Cancel twice instead of OK and had to repeat the step. Then I wondered why I had entered the Height so big, which prompted me into some further investigation.

I have posted it just out of curiosity: why is the result image dimension forever growing or shrinking if the resolution difference remains the same?

I hope, it is now more clear, unless I am still dim :).

David
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

David,

There are still variables that you are not specifying, so I cannot fully reproduce your case and do not know if this behavior is intended or simply a side effect. Generally, when you change the resolution there is no way to know if your intent is to maintain the same physical size or the same pixel size or adjust both in some combination, so how parameters are adjusted to keep all the parameters consistent is arbitrary. All the parameters on the resize dialog interact, so the order of calculations and the changes made after each user input have been selected to perform what was thought to be in accord with the most likely intent.

However, is there a problem? These are simply default values. No matter what defaults are picked, they will be right in only a fraction of the cases. You can change the values to whatever you like or, as Jon has noted, you can clear them and start from scratch in the OPT menu or by holding down the shift key when you select Resize initially.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

davidh...

What are your program "File --> Preferences" settings for:
...1) 'Resolution (dpi):'
...2) 'Default Units:'
...3) 'Remember Settings:'
???

Will the Resize transform perform as expected when you:
...1) 'Clear Default' using the Resize OPTions drop menu
...2) If program Preferences: 'Remember Settings:' is 'Yes'... ...change to 'No'
??

...den...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Kiril,
no problem at all. Until recently I always worked with one resolution 360 dpi. Only now when I start using 240 dpi for printing did I come across this. I mostly use different values so as I say, no problem, just curiosity.

Den,
My preferences: see the image

My Resize test defaults:
Resample = yes
Fixed width = 0 *
Resample method = Nearest Neighbor (makes no difference)

Resize window:
Set the Operation to any using image dimensions: width, height.....
Use inches, cm or mm, not pixels.
* Non zero in Fixed width is automaticaly multiplied by the resolution ratio. Zero value must replaced by a valid value.

Now, if anybody really cannot reproduce the same by following these steps, then it must be just my PC quirk:

1. open the Resize loaded with an image that has the resolution in the file information less then the default in your Preferences (My image had 240 dpi).
Since the default in the Preferences is higher, you will get the Current / New Resolution values in then Resize window something in the way I got: 360.00 / 240.00. (image 1).
2. Press Cancel to close the Resize
3. Reopen the transformation. Now the Fixed Width has grown to 67.5. (image 2)
4. Press Cancel to close the Resize
5. Reopen the transformation. Now the Fixed Width has grown to 101.2. (image 3)
and so on. With each reopen the previous value is remembered and multiplied by the Resolution ratio.
If the target resolution is bigger then image resolution, the dimensions will naturally shrink.

If I change Remember settings = No then the image growing stops, which is expected. Setting it back to Yes restarts the image growing.
Clearing the Resize Defaults followed by resetting the Resize has no effect except that it needs first to set the Operation to any working with dimension parameters (width, height).

David
Attachments
PWP Res.jpg
PWP Res.jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 5671 times
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

OK, David, let's see if you can follow this -- using your panel #2 for the mathematics.

You have told the transformation that you want the resulting printed output to have a width of 67.50 centimeters. My conversion table says that there are 0.3937 inches per centimeter. So that means that you have specified an output with a width of 26.57475 inches. (i.e. 67.50 cm times 0.3937 cm/in = 26.57475 inches)

We have to convert to inches because you have also specified that everything should be adjusted to 240 dpi. And dpi means dots (pixels) per INCH. So we have to now be working in inches.

Now, if we want an output width of 26.57475 inches to contain 240 pixels in each of those 26 inches, we need 6,377.94 pixels in the width of our image. (i.e. 26.47475 inches times 240 pixels per inch = 6,377.94 pixels)

As you can see, the transformation has accordingly adjusted to a width of 6,378 pixels. It will resize the image to convert (expand) the 4,320 pixels in the width of your original image to 6,378 pixels. The same mathematics works in your other examples.

So you have specified a width for the printed output and specified the pixel count standard to be forced into that output width (i.e. 240). The software has dutifully adjusted the number of pixels to accommodate those specifications.

Hope this helps,
Doug