Sharpen Main Toolbar button causing PWP to "stopped working"

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Sharpen Main Toolbar button causing PWP to "stopped working"

Post by den »

I am consistly getting a "Picture Window Pro/32 7.0.18 has stopped working" dialog with Vista Home Premium and latest Patch Tuesday's updates when:

1) open a large [4896x3264} 24-bit color JPG image file...
2) perform Color Balance with default settings using the Color Balance Main Toolbar button...
3) attempt to perform Sharpen using its Main Toolbar button on the resulting 2) image...

A "stopped working" dialog does not happen if Sharpen is selected from the Transform drop-down menu or if another transform is performed using Toolbar buttons and/or Transform menu in step 2)...

The system problem is described as: "BEX" with Exception "c0000409" and OS version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3... ...resetting/clearing Sharpen's saved Default settings has no effect.

...den...

P.S. I did have difficulties on this "old" computer with Windows Update lastest "Patch Tuesday"'s [Apr 12, 2016] updates that necessitated utilizing " MicrosoftFixit.wu.Run.exe" which re-initializes UpdateHistory to "None" causing more than the usual number of updates to be downloaded and installed. Before running the "Fixit", I restored the system to Apr 9, 2016 when Windows Update was working properly. I do not recall if the Sharpen Main Toolbar button access to Sharpen after a Color Balance was shutting down PWP prior Apr 9, 2016...
jsachs

Re: Sharpen Main Toolbar button causing PWP to "stopped working"

Post by jsachs »

There should be no difference using the toolbar button or menu. I cannot reproduce the problem here - maybe you could email me the file (jsachs@dl-c.com).
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Sharpen Main Toolbar button causing PWP to "stopped working"

Post by den »

Jonathan...

1) This is not file specific... ...camera jpgs or their raw conversion tiffs from Canon PowerShot45, EOS-350D or an Fuji X100T cameras used as step 1) will exhibit the described scenario...

2) I can not duplicate the scenario with Win10/PWP 64 7.0.18 on a laptop computer I have [no other PWP versions installed]...

3) Strongly convinced this may be computer specific as I have had processor errors for which I had to slow down the clock speed...

4) I did un-install, then re-install PWP 32 7.0.18 with no change [did not download a new install file but one previously saved]...

5) will wait to see if this problem will resolve itself with/at the installation of the next maintenance version... ...I do have a work around using the Transformation drop-down menu for Sharpen after using a Color Balance transformation...

6) came across a suggestion to turn off "Data Execution Protection" for "pw70.exe" but was denied apparantly because "pw70.exe" is not a system file...

7) I do have working PWP4 and PWP5 program versions installed to answer occasional off-message board questions... ...possible interference?

Thank you for taking time to investigate!!!... ...okay to let this go unless you are curious... ...Vista is only going to be maintained for another year anyway.

...den...