Print dialog version PWP 7,018

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Re: Print dialog version PWP 7,018

Post by jsachs »

I still can't reproduce the problem of the margins changing after printing. It may depend on some of the settings in the Print dialog so I need to see a screen shot or a list of all the settings you are using.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Jonathan,

One thing I noted with the Print-Dialog is that it seems to have problems with the units.
I normally don't use the Margins - settings in print dialog, so i don't know if it's new.
I have set the units to mm and when i enter 50 for all four margins, click Ok and open the Print dialog again, the values for the Margins show 2.0, as if it was saved as inch.
The image size stays the same, but the margins reset to 2 mm in the previev and print, too.

Addendum:
Just tested, when setting the unit to inch it saves the margins correctly, if setting to mm it saves the inch value and interprets it as mm after reopening.
Dieter Mayr
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

That sounds like what is happening. I have fixed the problem of incorrect units when starting up the Print dialog and also adjusted the preview image size slightly to eliminate the slivers displayed in the preview that do not appear when printing.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Dieter, thanks for your insight. I just did not think at the different unit usage "here and there".
Leaving units out in a problem description is just an illustration of those notorious automatic assumptions.

Jonathan, I have the printscreens ready, but I guess they are no longer needed. Are they?

David
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

David, I just realised yesterday that you are "metric" as I am.
And it was a good bit of luck that I entered 25 and 50 mm as margins when testing, and got 1 and 2 (inches) then when restart.
That made the bell ringing then :)
And do not worry, it happend the best to confuse units, didn't NASA crash a space probe on Mars becaus of some pounds / kg confusion some years ago ?
Dieter Mayr
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

No need for the screen shots - I'm pretty sure I have fixed the problem.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

This finding offers an easy temporary workaround: setting the margins in cm or mm and then switching the units to inches makes the margins to be remembered. As far as the Orientation is concerned, setting it back to landscape is just two clicks. As I mostly make the crops of the same height but variable width, the horizontal placing is preferable to vertical.
Thanks to both.

David