Masking question

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Masking question

Post by Marpel »

Is there a reason, which I obviously cannot think of, why when zoomed into an image and using the Mask Tool, one cannot use the left/right/up/down arrow keys to move about the image when specifically using the freehand outline or flood fill, without having to click on the images blue border after each application. Whereas, when using the paint tool option of the Mask dialogue, one can continue to scroll across the image after each application without the added step of clicking the blue border?

I often use the fill or freehand method to draft a mask when at 1:1 or greater and after each application (like drawing along a contour with the freehand tool, closing the "loop", then continuing along the border after the image is scrolled), I have to click on the blue border to make another selection, however, as stated above, that is not necessary with the paint tool method.

Thanks,

Marv
jsachs

Re: Masking question

Post by jsachs »

Never noticed this before. When I checked, there was a special case for the mask paint tool -- all other tools were returning control to the mask dialog when their operation was completed. I guess the original intention was to bring the mask dialog to the front if it got buried by the image window. I have changed the code to keep the focus on the image window for all mask tools for the next release.

There also appears to be a bug in the freehand and paint tools if you scroll with the arrow keys in the middle of an operation (i.e. while holding the mouse button down) as the overlay fails to scroll with the image. Since the cursor stays in the same place when you scroll with the arrow keys, this equivalent to moving the cursor suddenly to a new location in the image so it would not be useful even if the overlay were redrawn correctly. As long as you complete an operation (i.e. release the mouse button) before scrolling with the arrow keys you should be OK, but I will look into fixing this in the future.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color