DoF calculator ideas

Moderator: jsachs

Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: DoF calculator ideas

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Another big question mark is that the rotation point is supposed to be the nodal point of the lens, but in reality it is often the neck of the photographer.
John, I have found that aricle you linked in too, but just the german version, so i did not wanted to post it.
Thanks for linking in the english version.
Dieter Mayr
JvdW
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G5

Post by JvdW »

Here is another link with a nice example: http://digital-photography-school.com/t ... se-method/

@ Dieter, yes, the rotation point is important if you want to predict the rfc by calculation. In the example above the rotation point is probably below the camera in the tripod head. Making the camera rotate around the entrance pupil of the lens in all directions requires quite a complicated rig.

It is good to be aware of the recomposing effect when you use large apertures at short distances. In that sense it might not be necessary that the calculated rfc matches the real life rfc, you could use it as a warning that you are operating in a critical zone and pay extra attention to what you are doing.

Most modern camera's have the option to set custom focus points. That removes the need to recompose after focusing.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The Windows version of DoF has been updated to 4.0.13 (the Android version remains unchanged). The main difference is that the etc button has been removed and now detailed information is now continuously displayed in a column at the right edge of the window. Also, field of view information has been added to the details. See the change log for more information.

This change allows for determining what parameters produce a desired total depth of field range (for product or macro photography for example) and also let you determine how far you need to get the camera from an object of a given size to fit the whole thing in the frame.

To download, go to http://www.dl-c.com/DoF
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
JvdW
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G5

Post by JvdW »

Hello Jonathan,

This makes the tool much more useful for me.
One little thing still on my wish list would be the possibility to lock the field of view and have the program re-calculate the focal length if I change the distance, and re-calculate the distance if I change the focal length. But that's just a 'nice-to-have' feature, I am very happy with the possibilities of the present DOF tool.

Thank you very much for this update! Great service!

Regards,
John