text as a comix bubble

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

text as a comix bubble

Post by davidh »

For some time now I have been musing over the idea that it would be a big help to have an option to add a text as a dialogue baloons. It might be either a selection of four types (speach, whisper, thought and scream) with a few nodes for reshaping them, or just one white baloon with a free number of nodes for shaping it and pulling one or more bubble points out of the shape. It would speed up creating and inserting comix bubbles in images considerably.
Now I wonder what will others think of it.

David
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: text as a comix bubble

Post by den »

...Post 1 of 2

I don't have a need often for text bubbles and as it may be a while before a transform with the complexity described is developed... ...I extracted from MSPaint [Win7 or later] the following Shapes on a 50% Gray background for use with the Composite-HardLight transform and a preference Alignment...
...you are welcome to use these...
TextShape01_BW.jpg
TextShape01_BW.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
TextShape02_BW.jpg
TextShape02_BW.jpg (24.36 KiB) Viewed 7548 times
TextShape03_BW.jpg
TextShape03_BW.jpg (14.93 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
...Continued in Post 2 of 2 [needed as only 3 attachments per post, or at least it use to be that way]
den

Post by den »

...Post 2 of 2...
BoltShape04_BW.jpg
BoltShape04_BW.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 7538 times
Step 1... ...Mirror or Rotate as needed the Shape image...
Step 2... ...Use the Composite transform in the Hard Light Filter mode where the Input is the image to which the Shape is to be applied and the Overlay is the Shape image; Amounts = 100; choose an Alighnment to scale/position the Shape on the Input; then OK... ...Note: if the black Shape outline is desired, then apply a default Brightness Curve Mask plus a +5 to +10 Feather to the Overlay Shape image and set Overlay Amount Mask white to 100 and Mask black to 0...
Step 3... ...you can use a Mask-Flood Tool to change the Shape interior color/texture...
Step 4... ...use the the Text transform to add text inside the Shape...
BoltShape04_Example.jpg
BoltShape04_Example.jpg (112.08 KiB) Viewed 7552 times
Possibilities are virtually limitless... ...I suspect that there may be a freeware utility that could be found/used that would not have the same manual intensity as to what is suggested...

...den...
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Den,

Thank you for posting the bubbles and getting the discussion going.

Actually you can add bubbles and text to an image in one step by using Transformation/Layout. Here is an example:
Comic.jpg
Comic.jpg (312.19 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
Here is how I created the image.

First, open the base image and the bubble in PWP. Create a mask for the bubble. The mask should delineate the background around the bubble. The mask FlashFill tool does this in one step. (This only has to be done once per bubble.)

Then:

1. Open the Layout Transformation.

2. Select the base image into Panel 1.

3. Select the bubble and mask into panel 2. You can size the bubble and position it as desired on top of the base image.

4. Create a third panel and type in your text. Position the text in relation to the bubble as required.

That's it. Click OK and you have an image with the bubble and text.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

den wrote:...
I extracted from MSPaint [Win7 or later] the following Shapes
The donation-only program Fast Stone Image Viewer has several bubble shapes, too.
den

Post by den »

Thanks Charles2... ...just a lot of sources for potenial text Shapes...

Noticed that a number of Free clipart speech bubbles here: https://openclipart.org/tags/speech%20b ... ble&page=1 had drop shadows, button shading, and color...

Here is the previously posted "TextShape03" modified with PWP's DropShadow and Button transforms:
TextShape03-1a_BW.jpg
TextShape03-1a_BW.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
Used with Composite-HardLight and a mask to provide a mirror-ed, semi-transparent 3D appearance:
TextShape03-1a_mirrored_Example.jpg
TextShape03-1a_mirrored_Example.jpg (79.67 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
...just exploring limitless possibilities... ...What's next? Maybe a Tint to provide a 'color cast' inside the text Shape??? ...added Texture???...

...den...
P.S... ...looks like I forgot to mirror the 'text drop shadow' in the example... ...anyone notice??? ...the devil is in the details for manufactured photo realism and graphics...!!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Appolgies for my late reply.

In fact at first I used a similar method to those described. I have predefined several bubble shapes using mask polygon tool for angular bubbles and oval (with the polygon to add one or more angular bubble points). But later on I found this method not fexible enough because the bubbles were the same all the time, and even though they could be roteted and mirrored, they still could not be placed anywhere because of their rigid shape and the point fixed size and direction.

What I have ment with this post was a (text) box or shape like the mask polygon tool and another one like the mask oval tool but with the posibility to add nodes to pull out or draw one or more angular bubble point while preserving its oval shape, which is something the mask spline tool cannot do as soon as a point is added to it.
This way you would be able to dynamically create the point or points anywhere in the bubble and place the bubble somewhere else in each image depending on the image contents and composition.
And if it were a textbox you could write directly into the bubble. A simplified textbox with white background and only the basic settings (Font type, Font size, Font (Foreground) color, Alignment) would do.
Even if it were not a text box, it would speed up inserting bubbles enormously.

Thanks all for their contributions.

David
den

Post by den »

I had the need to add some text dialogs to a presentation... ...so I 'saved' the following "<name>.poly" file to the .../Picture Window/Shapes folder...

Start text copy below this line_______

Polygon 1.0
npts 13
vertex 0 0.2430 0.6314
vertex 1 0.8005 0.6314
vertex 2 0.8005 0.3481
vertex 3 0.5955 0.3481
vertex 4 0.6024 0.2249
vertex 5 0.5459 0.3481
vertex 6 0.4996 0.3481
vertex 7 0.4745 0.3481
vertex 8 0.4500 0.3481
vertex 9 0.3340 0.3481
vertex 10 0.3156 0.3481
vertex 11 0.2925 0.3481
vertex 12 0.2430 0.3481
end
#
# Comments:
# 1) This is a rectangle with one
# pointer with provisions for two
# additional pointers along the
# bottom rectangle edge
# 2) Copy text to a 'plain text'
# editor [Notepad] and 'Save As'
# "<name>.poly" to:
# C:/Users/<user name>/AppData/Roaming/
# Digital Light and Color/
# Picture Window/Shapes
#
# Created by ...den... 160306

End text copy above this line________

The above will provide the Mask Tool - Polygon feature with a mask shape as described in comment 1) when loaded... ...Utilizing it with Composite-Blend, Drop Shadow, Texture, and Text transforms, the following is possible...
DSCF0662-0663-1-1_600px-1.jpg
DSCF0662-0663-1-1_600px-1.jpg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
Note: to find the Shapes folder, you may have to change Folder Options View to: "Show hidden files and folders" and/or <AppData> may be <ApplicationData> for your OS...

I could not get a Spline version to look right so no rounded corners with straight pointers...

...den...