Blink or Expand

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Blink or Expand

Post by Marpel »

I often (very often actually) draft up multiple variations of the same image, routinely up to over half a dozen. Some of the changes between images are very minor and/or small in area. While drafting up these images, I will reduce the completed ones and space them around the work surface to keep track of them (with the images and various open masks, I can have up to twenty or so open images, which makes things very confusing to say the least). When reducing the images down prior to placing them around the work surface window, I often do not get them all to the same size (I start with a large image and hit the "minus" button rapidly a number of times until it reaches an acceptable size).

Upon completion of this, I like to repeat compare them and if there are 5 or under, I will use Window>Blink, which automatically alines them at the top left corner. I usually use "Manual" rotation so I may spend sufficient time on each image. However, Blink has two disadvantages - it only allows a 5 image maximum - and it alines the images at their current size and does not expand each to the same size or to full window (as when using Window>Expand). This interferes with inspecting small changes. Of course, a manual Window>Expand on each image prior to the Blink is an option but very time-consuming. I have used Window>Expand by itself, then manually rotating the images using the "Cycle Though Windows" button, quite a bit, however, the biggest issue with this method is the images do not necessarily aline properly, depending on where the image is located in the window prior to this command.

So, to make my long story....longer, two questions - Is there a way, when using Blink, to expand the images automatically so they are all the same size and as large as the work surface will allow (like Window>Expand), and, barring that, is there some logical pattern when an image is "Expanded" as it relates to where it had been sitting compared to where it ends up. I have tried a couple locations and it seems there is a relative sweet spot near the centre of the window, for landscape format, however, portrait format throws all that out the window.

Thanks,

Marv
jsachs

Re: Blink or Expand

Post by jsachs »

I modified Blink for the next maintenance release to support up to 8 images and to automatically set the size of each image to 1:1 or zoomed out however much is necessary for the entire image to fit on-screen. I also fixed a few bugs related to window positioning.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Blink or Expand

Post by Marpel »

Ever so cool. Thanks very much Jonathan.