Panasonic DMC-G7 Raw color issues?

Moderator: jsachs

TTait
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Lumix G5

Panasonic DMC-G7 Raw color issues?

Post by TTait »

I just got a Panasonic DMC-G7 and am trying to process the RW2 raw files. The color balances seems way off - too flat and skewed. I can tweak up the saturation but the color balance using the "Camera WB" setting is still way off and very different than the JPG (shooting in JPG+RAW mode). Also the trial version of DXO does not have this problem with the raw files.

Is this a known issue with this camera in PWP 7.0.17a?

Thanks-

Tim
ksinkel

Re: Panasonic DMC-G7 Raw color issues?

Post by ksinkel »

Each camera model is unique and mus have its own translation tables. The Panasonic DMC-G7 is not supported yet.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Each camera model is unique and must have its own translation tables. The Panasonic DMC-G7 is not supported yet.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
mjdl
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nokia N8-00

Post by mjdl »

TTait wrote:I just got a Panasonic DMC-G7 and am trying to process the RW2 raw files. The color balances seems way off - too flat and skewed. I can tweak up the saturation but the color balance using the "Camera WB" setting is still way off and very different than the JPG (shooting in JPG+RAW mode). Also the trial version of DXO does not have this problem with the raw files.
FYI: According to the PWP "About" dialog. some of PWP's raw processing code is based on D. Coffin's "dcraw". In the FAQ on that page Coffin writes:
Why does dcraw output have a green tint and weak color?
Because dcraw doesn't have a color matrix for your camera model, it outputs raw color instead of sRGB. To fix this, I need a photo of a Wolf Faust, ColorChecker, CMP, or other calibrated color chart. Follow this checklist:

Use a real chart, not a printout or screen image.
Wait for sunny weather, local noon ± two hours.
Carefully brush any dust off the chart.
Tilt the chart 90° to the camera and 45° to the sun to avoid specular reflections.
Set the camera two meters away and use telephoto zoom.
Use the lowest ISO setting.
So if you have any of those colour charts, you may be able to contribute to getting the necessary data for the colour matrix into the next dcraw version (but the Panasonic cameras are very popular, so I imagine it's already in the pipeline).
TTait

Post by TTait »

OK, thanks for the info. I actually do have a Wolf Faust IT8 target - I guess I could probably use that to create a color profile myself.
mjdl
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nokia N8-00

Post by mjdl »

TTait wrote:I guess I could probably use that to create a color profile myself.
I don't know much of anything about this, but I'd hazard a guess that trying to create an ICC type profile to correct the incorrect colour output of a raw processor might not be very optimal or effective--wouldn't the "translation tables" spoken of above be the product of an entirely different kind of colour adjustment procedure...?
TTait

Post by TTait »

I tried to use the PWP "Create Profile" menu option but it would not work:
- When I tried to process a 48b TIFF created from the raw conversion, the program crashed every time I hit "generate"
- When I tried to test it on the in-camera JPG, generate did nothing - the "save profile" button remained grayed out

Thoughts?

Tim
TTait

Post by TTait »

I tried to do a File->CameraProfile using a color checker JPG, but again get a 100% repeatable crash (both 32b and 64b versions). This is the report:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: pw70.exe
Application Version: 7.0.17.0
Application Timestamp: 55e2448b
Fault Module Name: pw70.exe
Fault Module Version: 7.0.17.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 55e2448b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 002f9d60
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Someone else reported this problem recently and I have fixed it for the next maintenance release. It turned out to be related to the date and only happens during the month of December. If you don't want to wait until Jan 1 for it to go away, you can temporarily change the date on your computer to some other month.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
TTait

Post by TTait »

Interesting... just what you want a bunch of support requests for the holidays:) I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks-

Tim