Cropping an Image

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Cropping an Image

Post by Marpel »

Second question.

I find that if I crop part of an image to a specific size (let's say 1000 x 1000 pixels), then try to use the same dimensions to crop another area in a different location (either on the same image or another of the same size), every time I move the crop rectangle (by clicking on the centre "move" point), the dimensions change by up to 10-15 pixels.

I do this sort of thing quite a bit and find it quite tedious to have to always resize the crop dimensions back to the desired size.

I presume this is not supposed to operate this way (or is it??).

Thanks,

Marv
jsachs

Re: Cropping an Image

Post by jsachs »

I have fixed this issue for the next maintenance release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

Thanks as well for this immediate fix.

I have said it before, but will repeat - A great product with great support.

Marv
tomczak
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E2

Post by tomczak »

I'm not sure if this is related: in a Crop/Add Border widget, if the proportions are fixed, and there is a Break point set on this widget, if the training image is e.g. horizontal and the next one is vertical, the cropping rectangle properly changes orientation. But as soon as I touch this rectangle to resize it, it changes to the orientation of the training image back to whatever it was for the training image.
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

This does not happen when I try it -- the crop rectangle is stable. I am using the following settings: Align crop to image orientation; Scale Crop Rectangle and Scale Borders. Since crop has many other settings a well, perhaps you can send me a screen shot of your crop dialog.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Screenshot attached. What happens is that when the image orientation changes, so does the crop orientation, until you touch it. Maybe there is something else that I'm doing wrong...

Thanks Kiril!
Attachments
2015-11-11_161000.png
2015-11-11_161000.png (16.53 KiB) Viewed 7284 times
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Can confirm it here as Maciej describes it.
Workflow containing of Crop/AddBorder Widget with Breakpoint and a Save Widget.
Images in Landscape and Portrait orientation.
At the Training image (Portrait orientation) the parameters are set to a fixed aspect ratio, Crop Orientation: Align with image orientation.
When coming to a image with other orienation then the training image during running the workflow the crop rectagle is displayed correctly first ( Landscape oriented on a Landscape oriented image) but jumps to the Portrait orientation of the Training image as soon the corp rectangle is resized.
It doesn't matter if the crop rectangle of the training image has been resized or not.
Dieter Mayr
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Thank you for posting the screen shot.

The reason the rectangle realigns is that you have chosen Landscape under proportions. This choice supercedes the 'align with image orientation' choice. (The choices are incompatible, so one or the other has to take precedence.)

Currently there is no way to set definite proportions and make them align with the image orientation. The workaround would be to process landscape and portrait images separately. This can be done by selecting images that you want cropped to the selected orientation and then applying the work flow to 'Selected Images' in one operation. Then in a second operation, resetting the orientation in 'Proportions' and applying the workflow to the rest of the images. (There is no need to make a selection for the second operation, since the images already processed will be checkmarked and bypassed.)

Note that if you are using arbitrary proportions, the rectangle does automatically align with image orientation if that choice is made.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

I should add that there is a way to edit both landscape and portrait images in one stream.

In the training image, set the 'Proportions' orientation to whichever orientation is the most common.

Then during processing, change the orientation if necessary during breakpoint processing.

You can use either this method or the one in my prvious message -- depending on whichever is simpler in your case.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
tomczak

Post by tomczak »

Thanks Kiril,

Would it make sense, or be technically possible, to add possibility of automatically choosing vertical/horizontal images in a workflow, rather then selecting them by hand?
Maciej Tomczak
Phototramp.com