Registering a Mask on multiple images

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Registering a Mask on multiple images

Post by Marpel »

I routinely use the same Overlay Image and mask on more than one image and am having issues in repeatedly registering that image and mask, especially because I have to zoom into the image quite significantly (sometimes up to 6 or 7:1) to get a precise placement. If I wish to only use the mask and Input image a single time, of course it is easy to move the movement point (or whatever it's called) somewhere into the Input image then zoom into that point, while zooming into the preview image. However, when I need to place that masked component in the same place on a second Input image, I have to leave the movement point in its default location of the bottom left corner on both the Overlay image and the Input image (because the point defaults to that bottom left location every time the operation is done).
This works fine, except when the Overlay image and mask are large and the bottom left point has to go outside the Input image. I can move the borders of the Input image so it is surrounded by a white boundary and the movement point is visible in that area, to an extent. I just tried this a few minutes ago, however, where I could not keep the point visible even in the white boundary because I had to zoom in so far that it drove the point outside the boundary.
Hopefully, I have explained this so it is not too confusing.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to solve this issue. I do this sort of stuff quite frequently and find it extremely tough to accurately line up the Overlay image/mask when I can't zoom in a great degree because of this problem.

Marv
jsachs

Re: Registering a Mask on multiple images

Post by jsachs »

There was another post recently concerning this problem and I have since modified Composite to remember the location of alignment points when you switch input images (using the input image control) - assuming the new input image is the same size as the previous one. This should show up in the next maintenance release - hopefully this will make what you are trying to do a lot easier.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Registering a Mask on multiple images

Post by Marpel »

Jonathan,

I was unaware of the other post, however thanks for the response and the modification.

Marv