New Picture Window Update

Moderator: jsachs

ksinkel

New Picture Window Update

Post by ksinkel »

Picture Window Pro v 7.0.17 is now available. It features two enhancements and fixes some minor bugs.

Auto mode for Color Balance Widget
The Color Balance widget in workflow now supports an 'Auto' mode. When this mode is set, the widget will detect the color cast separately for each image and adjust it accordingly. You can still set it to a constant fixed adjustment for all images in the workflow by making sure that 'Auto' is not selected.

Texture tile size increased
The maximum tile size in the Texture transformation has been increased four-fold from 1024 to 4096 pixels.

Bug Fixes
Problems in sorting images by create date, in the display width of the Brightness Curve dialog and in Show Clipped Pixels have been fixed.

The new release can be downloaded here: http://www.dl-c.com/site/downloads/pwp-apps.php The update is free to PWP 7 registered users.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
mark_hay

Re: New Picture Window Update

Post by mark_hay »

Hi Kiril

I know you mention there is now an "Auto" feature in the Color Balance widget but I cannot see it in PWP.

I was wanting to use the Automatic Color Balance feature you mentioned to auto color balance a number of photos in a PWP workflow which each have different casts.
- Where can I find the instructions please? (I could not see it in the PWP Help.)

My version is 7.0.17a running on Windows 10.
Thanks, Mark
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Actually automatic balance is the default. It is indicated by the Status column next to the color patches. When the status is 'Auto' the color to be subtracted is sensed automatically. Auto mode is available for highlights and shadows.

Setting your own color by using the color picker or clicking on the image cancels auto mode. Auto mode can be reinstated by clicking the middle 'W' button (for highlights) or the middle 'B' button (for shadows).

Therefore to use auto color correction in workflow, all you need to do is open the color correction dialog and insure that the status is set to auto. The color patch you see is valid for the calibration image only and will be recalculated for each image in the workflow. (This applies to version 7.0.17 and later. In earlier versions the initial color patch setting was used for all images -- i.e. there was no auto mode.)

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

Kiril, I recently installed the maintenance update to version 7.0 that is labeled 7.0.17a. This was at the suggestion of Den so I could try out the new "Detail Control" function within the Brightness Curve transformation. Like it a lot.

Today I noticed that the Electronic Manual (accessed by clicking the Help button) does not include a discussion of that new function. Do I need to download something else? Or perhaps the Electronic Manual is only modified for major upgrades (Version 5.0, 6.0, 7.0) but not for the changes contained in maintenance releases like the one you announced above in this thread?
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Make sure that you have the latest version of the manual. The last update was on 6/3/2015. (The date appears on the Title and Contents pages of the manual.)

The detail control sliders are discussed on page 91 of the Manual as well as in Help.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

Oops! The date on my manual is August 2013. I guess the manual is an integral part of the purchase of a new version of the program (i.e. Version 7.0) since I purchased that in Sept. 2013. I see now that revisions related to a maintenance upgrade are a separate download on the website under Downloads > Program Files & Manual. Pretty poor understanding of the system by a dedicated PWP user since version 3.5 in 2004.