New Picture Window Release

Moderator: jsachs

ksinkel

New Picture Window Release

Post by ksinkel »

Picture Window Pro v 7.0.15 is now available. It features several important enhancements:

Show Clipped Pixels

Clipped Pixels can now be displayed in a solid color in all image and preview windows as you are making adjustments to transformations. The feature can be toggled on or off from the toolbar or by pressing Ctrl-K. The colors used for the display can be customized in File/Preferences.

Mask Support in the Histogram Tool

The histogram tool now can show the histogram of just the masked areas of an image. It accepts masks like most transformations and calculates the histogram taking into account the mask and position of the white and black sliders.

Preservation of Details Feature in Brightness Curve

The brightness curve allows you to preserve detailed (high-frequency) information and operate on it separately. Thus you can, for example, darken shadows while enhancing the contrast of textures within the shadows.

Other Enhancements

The Raw converter has been updated to support recently released camera models.

The browser now remembers your position within a folder for smoother operation when you switch between folders.

Keyboard shortcuts have been added for Save As (Alt-S), Save As Widget (Alt-W), Close All Windows (Alt-C), Show Clipped Pixels (Ctrl-K), Copy (Ctrl-C) and Paste (Ctrl-V).

See http://www.dl-c.com/update70.html for a list of bug fixes and other details

The new release can be downloaded here: http://www.dl-c.com/site/downloads/pwp-apps.php The update is free to PWP 7 registered users.
The Picture Window manual and the Sharpen whitepapers have also been revised, so you should also install the documentation update.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Re: New Picture Window Release

Post by Winfried »

Hello Jonathan and Kiril,
thank you for the update with the new functions.
The version installed without problems and I did some quick tests.
The new "New Brightness Curve Detail Function" seemes promising.
I just want point to a small glitch. If the window of the tool is made higher the switch for the detail function does not reflect this.
No problem if the window is made more wide.
No real problem for me.

[attachment=0]Brightness_Curve.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
Curve Tool made higher
Curve Tool made higher
Brightness_Curve.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 9353 times
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Jonathan, Kiril,

How is "Show Clipped Pixels" supposed to work ?
I cant get any showing of clipped pixels at all, even with very harsh clipping.
I noticed that in Prferences the values for the cliping points can be set from -1 to 256 instead of 0 to 255. Is that intended, and if, whats the purpose of setting below 0 and above 255?

I like the saving of the browse position very much, thank you for it!

Dieter
Dieter Mayr
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

In the example below the Preview shows both shadow (yellow) and highlight (red) clipping. In this case, the clipping was obtained by adjusting the contrast sliders off-scale.
ClippedPixels.jpg
ClippedPixels.jpg (247.52 KiB) Viewed 9304 times
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Assuming clipping display is enabled, any pixels in an image or preview where any channel is equal to or less than the lower limit is displayed in the shadow clipping color. Any pixel where any channel is equal to or above the upper limit is displayed in the highlight clipping color.

Setting the shadow clipping value to -1 disables the shadow clipping display; setting the highlight clipping value to 256 disables the highlight clipping display. This lets you enable one while suppressing the other.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I have fixed the problem with the Detail control not being positioned correctly when the window is resized for the next maintenance release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Post by Dieter Mayr »

Thanks Jonathan and Kiril, I was supposing it should work that way, but it didn't for me this morning.
Now I found what was the problem.
It does not work when Color Management is disabled or "None" is set for monitor profile.
I'm just setting up a new machine and did not have profiled my monitor, so I hat set profile to none, thats why it did not work.
And thankks for the explanation for the -1 and 256, makes a lot of sense when thinking about it (was a bit in a hurry this morning...).

Dieter
Dieter Mayr
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

There is one other enhancement in the current release that I forgot to mention:

The histograms in the Brightness Curve and the Color Curve transformations now take masks into account. If a mask is selected they show the histogram of just the masked portion of the image. This is the portion to which the transformation is applied. If there is no mask, these curves work as before. Thus now the histogram relates just to the portion of the image you care about.

A fine point which you can safely ignore in most cases relates to how the histogram is calculated in areas where the mask applies fractionally. This happens in feathered areas of the mask or when the sliders are set to intermediate values between 0% and 100%.

Histograms indicate, of course, how many pixels there are at each brightness or color value. Pixels that fall into areas where the mask is 100% are fully counted; pixels corresponding to areas where the mask is 0% are ignored, as one would expect. The question is how to account for pixels that fall into intermediate areas of the mask. Picture Window counts pixels in intermediate areas fractionally, according to the mask value. For instance a pixel at a brightness of 128 that falls into a 50% area of the mask contributes 1/2 to the pixel count at brightness 128 in the histogram.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Hi Kiril,
Thanks for this nice feature !
Bernard
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Thanks to Maciej Tomczak, a frequent contributor to this message board, for suggesting this feature.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color