Copy toolbar, album, and other settings to new computer

Moderator: jsachs

phototransformations

Copy toolbar, album, and other settings to new computer

Post by phototransformations »

I'd like to install PWP on a new computer and can't figure out how to transfer my toolbar, album, dialog box defaults, color lines, and other settings from the current computer to the new one. How do I do this? Sorry if this is documented somewhere in the Help or manual; I couldn't find it.

Thanks,
David
ksinkel

Re: Copy toolbar, album, and other settings to new computer

Post by ksinkel »

You can copy the files from your Applications folder to your new computer after installing PWP. This will transfer such things as workflow files, album templates, calendar holiday settings, etc that you created. PWP settings are saved in ... Digital Light and Color\Picture Window subdirectory of the applications folder.

Most other PWP settings are saved in the registry. The settings include pathname parameters and thus are dependent on the particular machine. So while it is possible to create a .reg file that saves a subtree of registry settings and then install the file on your new computer, it is not recommended. The easiest way to make the settings is simply to make them again in Preferences, Color Management Settings and Raw Settings.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
phototransformations

ksinkel wrote: Most other PWP settings are saved in the registry. The settings include pathname parameters and thus are dependent on the particular machine. So while it is possible to create a .reg file that saves a subtree of registry settings and then install the file on your new computer, it is not recommended. The easiest way to make the settings is simply to make them again in Preferences, Color Management Settings and Raw Settings.

Kiril
The only registry setting it seems it would be quicker to copy and install would be the registry settings that display which functions appear in the sidebar and toolbar. What registry key controls those settings? They are not machine dependent, and it took me a while to set things up the way I wanted them, initially.

Thanks,
David
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

There are a number of keys involved and they interact. So I would recommend going into the Window/Configure Toolbar dialog on your original computer and taking a screen shot and then using it on your new computer to make the settings.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
phototransformations

ksinkel wrote:There are a number of keys involved and they interact. So I would recommend going into the Window/Configure Toolbar dialog on your original computer and taking a screen shot and then using it on your new computer to make the settings.

Kiril
Okay. That was "Plan B," so Plan B it is.

For future reference, it would be nice if, in a later release, all of these toolbar settings could optionally be stored in a .INI file, so they could easily be ported.