Associating image file formats during installation

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Re: Associating image file formats during installation

Post by jsachs »

Ideally there would be buttons for Select All and Select None, but unfortunately this dialog box is created by the installer I am using and cannot be customized in that manner. Some users will want one thing and some another -- I happen to use it differently from you and like it the way it is, but if there is enough interest I could change the default to only .script and .workspace.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
doug
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D-500

Post by doug »

I am confused about the effect of these selections. I am pretty sure they do NOT dictate that, as a system-wide default, whenever a file of that type is clicked on (something embedded in an email, for example), PWP is automatically launched and the file is opened therein.
For example, I use FastStone as a viewer (but not editor) for jpegs that are sent to me. But even though I probably checked "jpeg" in the PWP installation, it is not automatically launched when I click on a random jpeg. Instead, FastStone is automatically launched to view the image.

What is the effect of these selections?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Windows over the years has changed the way file associations work many times. I have found that the only thing that works reliably to change associations is to use File/Open With... in Windows Explorer.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

I admit to being somewhat irritated by having to deselect everything but .workspace and .script (that's what I've been doing) every time I do an install. I vote for having only them as the defaults as you suggest.

As for Zorki's other complaint about install size, I suspect you have more important things to deal with in the near future. However, it would be nice if you could reduce the download and install time by making CUDA support an option. (I'm the guy with an Nvidia card for which CUDA was not available back in early August. I have since obtained another Windows 10 computer to replace my old one. The new (refurbished) one has Intel graphics on the MB and seems to work just fine!!)
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Since file associations don't seem to work reliably anyway, I am currently leaning toward just removing this screen from the installer altogether. When I saw the installer supported this feature, I assumed it worked reliably. Since it doesn't, what's the point in having it?

Once the beta period is over and releases become much less frequent, the issue of download size will less important. In the meantime, I plan to start releasing updates also as zip files containing just the PW 8.0.exe file which is less than 2MB, as this should handle most cases of minor bug fixes or new features.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jimbhicks

Post by jimbhicks »

Why mess around with zip files if the executable is so small already. I personally find dealing with zip files and their associated folders a pain. It would be different if you were dealing with many files but I assume you are only talking about the executable. What am I missing?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Most web browsers will not download unzipped exe files.

Windows has support for zip files built in, so for the most part they just look and act like folders. Just double click them and drag the contents where you want to extract it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I tried removing the file associations screen altogether, but then it loses the associations with .script and .workspace when you go through an uninstall/install cycle, so I put it back the way it was.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color