Can't even get started!

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Rawcoll
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: GH2, G80, (Fuji XT-1)

Can't even get started!

Post by Rawcoll »

I'm running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on an i7 PC. The installation went OK, and on opening I'm presented with the app framework but of course no images. I find I'm not able to open images as they are not recognized. To test it, I opened your sample image of the bird. However, in doing so, this immediately threw up an error message:
Error pane 1.jpg
Error pane 1.jpg (55.6 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
I pressed NO and got another error message:
Error pane 2.jpg
Error pane 2.jpg (56.95 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
A second press of NO cleared the error message. Then I went to the 'bird' file and selected it. I then got another error message:
Error pane 3.jpg
Error pane 3.jpg (14.91 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
I 'OK'd that and got a further error message: (hmm, can't add any more images). Basically it said 'error reading file'. OK-ing that just takes me back to the 'open image file' pane again.

The image is openable in Windows Photo viewer, for example, and my other applications, Lightroom and C1 both seem to work OK.

Any ideas please?
Ian
Hanginon

Re: Can't even get started!

Post by Hanginon »

Wild guess - is the file really named .jpeg? Have you tried renaming it to .jpg (take out the e)?
Rawcoll

Post by Rawcoll »

Yes it is, believe it or not! But it doesn't make any difference, and in any case I can't open my own '*.jpg' files.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

PWP 8 uses something call WIC (Windows Imaging Component) which is built into Windows to read and write jpeg and tiff image files. It should work under Windows 7 if you have all the latest updates installed. A number of others have been able to run PWP 8 under Windows 7 without problems.

If you are getting the error before actually opening the file, the problem could be in the File Open dialog box processing which I recently converted to use more recent Windows methods, but it should work from Windows Vista on.

The error message related to scripts seems totally unrelated to Picture Window which does not Javascript at all. Normally this would occur with an internet browser or something similar.

If you have installed PWP on a network drive, that may also be causing problems.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Rawcoll

Post by Rawcoll »

Thanks Jonathan. Well, I have been very tardy about updating Win 7, so maybe that's it. Not looking promising then!

No, this isn't on a network drive, it's my C: drive. It's interesting that the reason I came across v8 of PWPro is that my version of v7 crashed, and I had to use the task manager to end the program. Following that, I couldn't get it to run, despite uninstalling and re-installing it. Strange that the shortcut for the re-installed v7 showed was an SD card (?) icon! I had hoped that v8 might solve the problem, but apparently not. None of my other programs seem to be affected at all.
Rawcoll

Post by Rawcoll »

One further thing, which may be relevant. I've just tried installing a copy of v6.10, and it gives the same fault as on v7. If I open 'color management', the window pane is blank. Now it so happens that previously I'd installed some profiles using self-extracting files, from a paper supplier. One was a *.icm and 2 were *.icc files. They all ended up, as they should, in the Sys32/spool/drivers/colour folder, along with many other profiles. It was after this that I opened PWPro v7 to check if I could see the profiles, and when it crashed (hung). Could that be relevant? Inicdentally, they are visible in other applications.

Also, whenever I install v7 or v6, it's picking up the same files in the file viewer. So even though I've removed the program, there must be some files lurking where the programs are picking up this information.

If I could still use v7, I'd be happy.

Any further advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

It could be something wrong with the profiles you installed since PWP reads them all to build profile lists -- I encountered something like this a while ago. Try temporarily moving all your profiles (*.icm and *.icc) to a different folder. If that fixes it, try moving them back a few at a time until you isolate the ones causing the problem. If you email me copies, I can see what the problem is. PWP 7 is no longer supported so there won't be any fix for it, but I can fix PWP 8.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Rawcoll

Post by Rawcoll »

Jonathan, you're a star!!! As ever I can't say how much your depth of knowledge is valued.

It appears to be one of the profiles that is causing difficulty with PWPro v7. When I tried to upload it to the message board, it said invalid file type. I'm guessing it isn't happy with *.icm files. I tried zipping it but then the file is too large (only 1.3MB!). Is there another way I can get the file to you please? It isn't a critical profile, I'm just trying out some new printer papers.

I'm happy with going along with v7. Perhaps when/if I upgrade to Win10 (I suppose I'll have to eventually!) I'll give v8 another try.

Regards.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Just email it to jsachs@dl-c.com
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Rawcoll

Post by Rawcoll »

Done. Many thanks.