Move through a zoomed in image

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Move through a zoomed in image

Post by Marpel »

Not sure what the tool is called (hence the ambiguous title).

When an image is opened, the cursor is in the shape of the hand, and when I zoom in the hand allows the user to move through the image.

However, there seems to be a few transforms that, once completed, the cursor changes to the cross-hair and does not allow the movement of the image (when zoomed in of course).

Initially, I thought this occurred after a few different transformations, but when I tried to replicate this to determine what was occurring, the only one I could immediately confirm was Levels and Color.

The cursor remains as a cross-hair even when another image is activated, and only seems to revert to the hand after a different transform is completed.

Happened in previous version but I just downloaded the most recent and it continues to occur.

Marv
jimbhicks

Re: Move through a zoomed in image

Post by jimbhicks »

I think this behavior is somehow involved with mode status. When I invoked (clicked OK) Levels and Color, the hand is not active and the cursor is a plus. But if you switch to the magnifier mode and then back to the drag and scroll mode the hand reappears and you can move the image around.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

From the Help...
Zoom and Scroll Mode

You turn on the Zoom and Scroll mode by clicking the button on the main tool bar.
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (825 Bytes) Viewed 3192 times
If no transformation is active, Zoom and Scroll is the default mode you will normally use most of the time.

In Zoom and Scroll mode, clicking and dragging changes the cursor to a hand and scrolls the underlying image in the direction you drag it.

The mouse scroll wheel zooms the image in or out.

Tips
Holding down the Alt key while dragging always activates Zoom and Scroll mode, regardless of what other mode is currently active. Or, you can scroll by holding the Alt key down and using the arrow keys.
...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

There was a problem with a few transformations -- fixed for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

For your return, didn't want to forget so thought I would throw this in now.

At 1:1, the hand works as expected to scroll through the image (click and place the hand, then move the hand in a direction and the point in the image under the hand moves with the hand). However, it seems when zoomed in at less than 1:1, there is a mild delay between when the cursor is moved and when the image follows so the operation is not as smooth as it is at 1:1. Didn't think to check at greater than 1:1.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Unlike PWP 7 that only supported integer zoom factors, PWP 8 need to resample the image if the zoom factor is not 1:1 and that adds a small delay (the more cores your processor has, the faster this goes). Additional delays are incurred converting the resampled image to the monitor color space.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

Understood, thanks.