Paint Tool

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Paint Tool

Post by Marpel »

I am doing up some images, starting with a blank white image (7000 x 5000), where I use the paint tool (3 px, solid black) to draw multiple horizontal (and in some cases, vertical) lines from one side to the opposite. To make things smoother, I zoom out a bit to reduce the size of the image in relation to the work surface, and run off the page with the cursor, then back on and across the image again.

I am experiencing a couple things:

- unless I draw very slowly, the cursor outruns the line (at an average speed, the cursor will be across the image before the line reaches half way).
- if I run off the page, then back onto and across the page, the line will not continue to the edge of the page, but stops as the cursor passes it, then turns and follows the cursor (regardless of the distance between the two lines). The result is like a horizontal V, rather than two horizontal lines.

I did this type of operation multiple times in PWP7 and did not experience this at all.

I should mention that, between using the two programs, I purchased a new computer.

I also just tried exactly the same thing in Photoshop and it worked fine and as expected.

I'm trying to determine if this is a program thing or if it is related to my computer and suggests I need better/more graphics or ram (currently have 8gbs).

Marv
jsachs

Re: Paint Tool

Post by jsachs »

Cloning and painting in PWP8 works totally differently internally from PWP7 as you have already noticed. It runs faster if you increase the Spacing slider. Even on my computer with a fast processor and graphics card there is a lag if I paint quickly. At some point I may put in the effort to speed up the freehand tools, but that will have to wait for a future version as I am mostly focused on getting a stable initial release for now and rewriting a large section of the code to be more efficient will doubtless introduce bugs that will take a while to settle out.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Re: Paint Tool

Post by Marpel »

OK, thanks. Good to know it is likely not an issues with my computer.

Marv