Paint Tool, Reload Last Settings

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Marpel
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D810

Paint Tool, Reload Last Settings

Post by Marpel »

I'm attaching three images (hopefully) which are crops of the full images.

Latest version PWP8. Opened image (crop-1) and used paint tool (black, 2.9 in size) to draw horizontal lines (which are the new black lines shown in crop-2). Had to take care of something which caused me to momentarily cancel the operation, but left PWP open. Upon return, opened the same image and tool. Clicked on "reload last settings"; the settings reverted to those I had last used. Without any other actions by me (and my hand off the cursor), the program redrew the exact same lines and added the white areas as shown in crop-2. Out of curiosity, I opened another image and the paint tool and repeated "reload last settings". The program, again, drew the same lines and the white areas (crop-3).

If it means anything, I reduced the size of the image and started the lines outside the image to aid in a smoother movement across the image.
Attachments
crop-1.jpg
crop-1.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
crop-2.jpg
crop-2.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
crop-3.jpg
crop-3.jpg (20.05 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
jsachs

Re: Paint Tool, Reload Last Settings

Post by jsachs »

Settings in this context means everything you did to produce the final image, including all the strokes. Each transformation has an associated command line which captures the actions the transformation applies to its input image to create its output image. Loading saved settings reloads this command line and executes it. A similar process occurs when you load a script file.

At this time there is no way to load and save just the brush settings, although there certainly could be separate commands to do so.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Re: Pain Tool, Reload Last Settings

Post by Marpel »

Ahh,

I presumed that only the dialogue settings were reloaded. I often use the same line width and softness on a number of images, so did not want to have to do it manually each time. So that explains part of the issue.

Can you advise how the extra white areas in crop-2 and 3 were introduced during the reloaded session? The white area in the original image is the only white in the image and I did not use white as a paint colour.

Thanks,

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I can only guess at what you did, but bear in mind that Reload Last Settings runs the settings from the last time you click OK to complete the transformation so if you cancel, the settings are not recorded. Therefore it depends what you did the previous time you used the Paint transformation.

Of course, it's possible there is some kind of bug in the program but I am not seeing it here when I try to reproduce it from your description.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Marpel

Post by Marpel »

OK, I'll try and do the same process again and see what happens.

On a related note, I tried a few transformations to see the use of "reload last settings" in other areas.

When trying to redo the clone tool (after first successfully using it on initial images), if I don't first identify the source image, I receive "Internal error: illegal input for "clone": index: 0" which seems to make sense as it would be impossible to recreate strokes etc without identifying a source image, however when I click on OK, PWP crashes. If I do identify a source image then click reload, PWP also crashes.

Marv
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, I'll check it out - I probably need to check for that condition and prevent it from trying.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Fixed for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color