Problems opening 16-bit black and white TIFF images

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Problems opening 16-bit black and white TIFF images

Post by jsachs »

I am suddenly having problems reading 16-bit black and white images using PWP (via WIC). It is not recognizing the files as TIFF, but as something else random. I can the images with Photoshop, so I think they are OK, and I'm sure this used to work. I suspect a recent Windows 10 update. Anyone else seeing this problem? The thumbnails show up magenta in Windows Explorer as well, so I don't think it's anything in PWP unless the files are being written incorrectly.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Re: Problems opening 16-bit black and white TIFF images

Post by MarkT »

Don't see it here, but I could only test with newly created 16-bit B&W files... (can't put my hands on any old ones in a hurry...).

Saved a NEF as 48-bit RGB, then converted to 16-bit B&W in PWP8. Thumbnail looks fine in Windows File Explorer and in FastStone, and opened fine in PWP7 and PWP8.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

It looks like it's only happening on one of my computers -- must be something I installed on it or something wrong with Windows.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

It looks like the problem was being caused by the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack - an application that lets Windows display raw file thumbnails in Explorer.

I would avoid this for now if you are thinking of trying it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color