Bug fix release 14-Feb-2019

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 14-Feb-2019

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (14-Feb-2019) in full installer and executable-only versions. Significant changes to help file.

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Major changes to the way metadata is saved in image files:

1) A copy of ExifTool is now installed along with PWP in its install folder. You will need to run the full installer to copy it to the required location and you will get an error message if you try to save an image file and it is not found. After saving files, ExifTool is run silently in the background to copy the metadata from the original file, if any, to the new file. This lets you preserve all the metadata including EXIF, GPS, ICC Profile, IPTC and XMP at the cost of slower performance as it takes time to load ExifTool and it then writes the entire file a second time.

2) There are new Default File Save options in the File/Preferences dialog box. You will need to enter a new set of options as the old ones do not translate one for one. Currently, the metadata options are: All/All but GPS/Profile Only/None, but I could add more options by request. Options to save 16-bit images as 8-bit were removed. Saving to BMP, JPEG or GIF now automatically converts to 8-bit while TIFF and PNG never convert.

3) There are no longer embedded scripts in TIFF files – instead, for every type of file you now have the option on File/Save to save a script file of the same name alongside the image file.

4) The File/Run Embedded Script command will be removed at some point as it is now obsolete. I am still thinking about how to unembed embedded scripts for existing TIFF files. I may temporarily add an Extract Embedded Script command to handle this or perhaps this could be automatic if an embedded script is detected.

5) File/Export now has its own complete set of File Save options, just like the Default File Save options in File/Preferences. Existing scripts that use Export will no longer work.

6) Image Info: all metadata is now read-only. You can no longer use PWP to edit Notes, Author or Copyright.

7) The Help file has been updated .
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Re: Bug fix release 14-Feb-2019

Post by MarkT »

Looks like a perfect solution Jonathan.

However, After I opened the latest version and entered my preferences for File-Save, I can no longer open PWP8. I'm going to re-install and try again, but this seems odd.

Also, the checkbox behaviour in the tabs for File-Save also seemed odd: hover over the "Ask for options when saving" and the checkmark disappeared...

I'll try this all again...

[Update] Un-installed and re-installed, but PWP8 won't start. Is there an .INI file or something else still left after the un-install I need to manually delete?
jsachs

Re: Bug fix release 14-Feb-2019

Post by jsachs »

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I changed a lot of code so I was expecting a few problems to show up.

Try deleting the preferences file. It is located at:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Picture Window Pro\Preferences\Settings.preferences

The AppData folder is normally hidden, so to see it in in Windows Explorer, you may need to go to View/Options/View and turn on Show hidden files, folders and drivers

I found some problems with saving and loading preferences for which I have uploaded a 14.5-Feb bug fix update.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color