Batch processing

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

MikeL

Batch processing

Post by MikeL »

For batch processing I assume the intended procedure is to have an export transformation at the end of the chain, then edit the top level dialog to add more files?

When I tried to do this I could only select and add maximum of two files to the list. I could build a much longer list adding two at a time, but this seems unlikely to be the intended behaviour!

Also, are we supposed to be able to open more than one file when we open a script saved with no names?

Mike
jsachs

Re: Batch processing

Post by jsachs »

>> For batch processing I assume the intended procedure is to have an export transformation at the end of the chain, then edit the top level dialog to add more files?

Yes

>> When I tried to do this I could only select and add maximum of two files to the list. I could build a much longer list adding two at a time, but this seems unlikely to be the intended behaviour!

You click the folder with a + sign on it and the select as many files as you want using Ctrl-Click or Shift-Click to add to the selection in the Windows dialog box.

>> Also, are we supposed to be able to open more than one file when we open a script saved with no names?

No, you can only select one initially. You then have to go back and add the others as described above.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

jsachs wrote: February 5th, 2019, 12:01 pm
>> When I tried to do this I could only select and add maximum of two files to the list. I could build a much longer list adding two at a time, but this seems unlikely to be the intended behaviour!

You click the folder with a + sign on it and the select as many files as you want using Ctrl-Click or Shift-Click to add to the selection in the Windows dialog box.
That's my point: on <Ctrl-clicking> on more than two files nothing is added to the list - the file select dialog just returns silently.

[EDIT}

Just tried with different file types: I can add max 2 tiffs or 19 jpegs to the list.

Mike
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Interesting, it works on all of my computers.

Did it select multiple files in the dialog box. Did the multiple filenames show up at the bottom of the dialog box as File name:?

What version of Windows are you using?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

jsachs wrote: February 5th, 2019, 1:15 pm Did it select multiple files in the dialog box. Did the multiple filenames show up at the bottom of the dialog box as File name:?
Yes, it did.
What version of Windows are you using?
Win7

I tried a few other things and I wonder now if it is nothing to do with the file type,but rather the length of the file name (the tiffs concerned had unusually long names.) It looks like I am getting a limit of about 200 characters including <.> and <ext> (eg 20 files max called imgNNN.jpg).

I never had any need to do so, but trying to open 21 files named as above via the normal open file dialog fails in the same way, although they can be dragged and dropped.

Mike
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, that's a useful clue. There is a nominal pathname limit of 261 characters per pathname, but I may not be allocating a large enough buffer to hold multiple pathnames. I usually test with short names.

I will be working on the manual for a while and will add this to the list of things to fix when I reach a stopping point.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color