Ctrl-F Full Screen Display can significantly raise core temps

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Ctrl-F Full Screen Display can significantly raise core temps

Post by den »

Ref: PWP 8.0.exe 181215/181216 and msi 181213

FYI

Inadvertently left the PWP8 Full Screen display mode [Ctrl-F] on while getting a cup of coffee. Upon return, the core cooling fan was obviously at a high rpm.

Subsequent investigation indicated a significant rise in processor core temperature starts if the Full Screen display is left on for a minute or more. Not sure but believe the Desk Top Mgr is using high CPU.

...den...
jsachs

Re: Ctrl-F Full Screen Display can significantly raise core temps

Post by jsachs »

Should not be more than the usual idle loop. It sits there processing Windows messages until it sees a keystroke or mouse click.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Post by Winfried »

Maybe this helps:
It takes one thread of my 4 core/8 thread cpu.
crtl_f.jpg
crtl_f.jpg (81.79 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
den

Post by den »

For my Win10 Home 64-bit OS, latest updates for December 2018 and the CPU/Core described below:
1) Core temperatures rose from 35C before to 67C after 1 minute of a Ctrl-F Display
Core Temp before-during.jpg
Core Temp before-during.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
2) PWP 8.0.exe CPU usage rose from <1% before to 24% during a Ctrl-F Display
PWP8 CPU usage before-during.jpg
PWP8 CPU usage before-during.jpg (82.29 KiB) Viewed 4216 times
...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Maybe some other task was running in the background,
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den

Post by den »

If there is, I can't see it immediately after turning off the Ctrl-F Display to see the Resource Monitor dialog... ...the tasks are displayed in descending order of CPU usage and there is nothing approaching the 24% ave usage of PWP8... ...and I cannot resolve the difference between the total CPU usage 46% and the 24% PWP8 usage.

So if this not occurring with your system/OS, don't spend anymore time... ...I do not intended to maintain a Ctrl-F Display for more that a few seconds under normal usage anyway.

Might be nice to have a Full Display comparison feature [Blink] for PWP8 for those using single monitor displays...

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Sounds like malware mining cryptocurrency in your idle loop or possibly something more benign. Others do not seem to be seeing the extra activity.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
mjdl
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nokia N8-00

Post by mjdl »

I'm sure you've already done this, but one thing to do to diagnose such performance issue is to start Windows without all the start-up items in the background, i.e. run msconfig.exe and select the following options before restarting the computer:
Annotation 2018-12-24 124438.jpg
Annotation 2018-12-24 124438.jpg (30.41 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
This at least establishes a base-line for comparisons.

Another thing I do is to run the Microsoft/SysInternalsSuite utility Autoruns and activate the VirusTotal scanning of startup items. This may come up with false posutives, but those are rare.
den

Post by den »

Thank you "mjdl" for the suggestion of "autoruns". "No threats" appear among the startup files it listed using "VirusTotal.com" definitions.

I also used Windows Defender (MPCMDRUN.exe) with its latest definitions in Full and BootSector scans resulting with "no threats"

I also used "MRT.exe" (Malicious Software Removal Tool) and "MSERT.exe" (Safety Scanner) with their latest definitions in Quick Scan mode; again both resulting with "no threats".

I also used SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool) to verify, repair, and confirm system files for the latest Win10 (version: 10.0.17763.1). All operations completed successfully and as far as I know, no corrections were made.

Checks for RootKits were made with the latest 'free' versions of Kaspersy "tdsskiller" and McAfee "rootkitremover". No threats found.

I also tried without success, a Windows Defender Offline scan using both the system User GUI and an Administrator: Windows PowerShell [PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Start-MpWDOScan]. I did not take the time to create and do from a separate boot-able source.

PWP8 with a Ctrl-F Full Display will still use an average of 22-24% per minute of the CPU [indicated by the system Resource Monitor] with other system process excursions adding to peaks.

I do not consider this a concern as I do not intend to use full screen display for more than a few seconds.

I also observed that PWP8 will use considerable amount of CPU when doing "hand grab" moves of one of the dual displays at 1:1 viewing. Again, this is just an observation and not a concern.

If anyone would like further information regarding the system scans performed, ask... ...other suggestions for checks are welcome.

...den...
mjdl
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nokia N8-00

Post by mjdl »

I think you've done all the <understatement>reasonable</understatement> checks for malware!

Maybe this is a video driver thing: if you've installed the video card drivers from the manufacturer, rather than just the Microsoft Update versions (this is what I had to do in order for PWP8 to recognize the Nvidia CUDA capabilities, Microsoft Update was several versions behind), try reverting to the official Microsoft Update version.

But as you said, the ROI on this kind of fussing around is pretty minimal.