No more whole tree cloning with top image replacement?

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

No more whole tree cloning with top image replacement?

Post by davidh »

In previous versions it was possible to double-click the top level image and clone the whole tree with a different file image.
It was a fast and simple way to apply a whole workflow to another image without going to scripts.

The new File Open functionality does not seem to support this function, or I have not found if and how it does this.

If it was dropped after all, could it be put back for example as an independent command? Something like a version of the current local menu command Clone Top Level Branch with replacement would be quite comfortable.
jsachs

Re: No more whole tree cloning with top image replacement?

Post by jsachs »

I am planning to restore this functionality. It did not fit well with the new File Open dialog box so I temporarily removed it.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

You can get the same effect by cloning the top level branch which gives you two identical branches with the same file at the top. Then double click one of them are select a new file. Not quite as convenient as the old way but it works. Still working on a way to get the old functionality back that's not too confusing or obscure.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I am aware of this possibility. In fact, this is how I found that clone the branch with top image replacement was no longer available.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

In the next release, there is a Clone entire branch command that clones the current branch. If its top-level image is a File Open, it asks you to select new files.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Thanks for putting it back.

There only seems to be a small inconvenience.

If you just close or Cancel the Open Image File window witout choosing anything, the open file operation is not cancelled. Instead, the current top level image is replaced by the checkered placeholder which is then run through the whole workflow.

By the way. Since the placeholder is just an 8-bit image, if there are transformations that only work on 24-bit images, like those in the Color submenu, they fail with the rest of the workflow going red.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I am planning at some point to make all transformations accept all types of images by converting them, if necessary, to a type that works.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color