Bug fix release 7-Dec-2018

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 7-Dec-2018

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (7-Dec-2018) in full installer and executable-only versions. Some changes to help file.

This version implements more of the batch processing facility, but there is still more to come.

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Scratch Removal transformation: fixed problem with workflows stopping at this transformation if no scratches were specified.

File Open transformation
  • Incorporated the Batch transformation into the File Open transformation. This solves the problem of converting a File Open to a Batch transformation when you want to convert a normal to a batch workflow. Opening multiple files now creates a file list instead of opening multiple top-level images. If you want to switch files, double-click on the transformation to bring up the list and select a different file from the list or load one or more new files into the list.

Added a trash icon to the tool bar to let you remove the current file from the list.

If the file list is empty when the transformation dialog starts up, it immediately asks for files.

Fixed error reporting for files that do not exist.

Dropping files on the File Open dialog box appends their pathnames to the file list.

Running a batch operation now only recalculates images that depend on the File Open transformation.
Display transformation: renamed to Slide Show, added size setting. Slide show is now delayed until all the images have been processed – this lets it run uninterrupted once it starts.

File Export command: fixed problem of transformation not being removed when command completes. Added option to export as Original file type – this also requires a Default File Type setting in case there is no original file type (e.g. if the original image was pasted from the clipboard).

Implemented Print transformation for batch printing. There is still a Print command.

Fixed problem with last file open folder sometimes getting lost.

Fixed problem allowing various windows to be closed while the Windows File Open or File Save dialogs were active, thus causing a crash.

Removed File/Rename command for now

Added Edit/Full Screen command to display the current image full-screen (Ctrl-F shortcut). Click or press a key to return to normal display.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Re: Bug fix release 7-Dec-2018

Post by MarkT »

Edit/Full Screen oddity... If I use File|Open to open an image, Ctrl-F gives me a fully black screen. If I open/import the same image from third-party software (FastStone) Crtl-F provides me with a full-screen display of the image.

Only, this is not consistent. It might be a pixel dimension issue - i.e., smaller images seem to correctly display full screen when opened either way - but this is not always the case.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I'm not seeing this here - any clues about what images work and what images don't would be helpful.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

So basically, any image that is straight from the camera - no edits - if I use File | Open, Ctrl-F results in a black screen, and if I open from Faststone ("open with external program"{), Ctrl-F functions as expected. I've tried this with images from Nikon P900, Nikon 1 V3, Nikon D810, and a few other makes/models.

Any images that have been edited, Ctrl-F works fine. This includes jpegs that are smaller or bigger (stitched panoramas...) than the originals, and tiff files generated by converting RAW files.

I will try to capture a screen movie later today to illustrate.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, got it. It was a bug in the new File Open code that was setting a bad color profile for images whose profile setting was inferred from the image metadata, which is the case for out of camera jpegs. Also it was not checking for a match between the file profile and the working color space. Fixed for next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Ah, it's just as I suspected... Kidding! I'm kidding! I don't have a clue how you do what you do Jonathan, it's the same as magic to me.

Thanks for all the work and new ideas - I've pretty much been able to use PWP8 as my everyday editor (although I'm not getting rid of PWP7 anytime soon... just in case), and it's been fun to apply new techniques and new transformations to some older images. The new-and -improved interface (image browser, branches, etc...) and quick pick keyboard shortcuts have really cut down on the time it takes to edit images.