Random crashes

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Random crashes

Post by MarkT »

I have note been able to document the steps that lead to the crashes, but it seems like if I spend a lot of time with a new mask, after I have opened a transformation window, if I cancel or save the work, PWP silently closes. Not all the time, not with the same transformations, just every once in awhile it feels like I've overloaded something.

My Win10 system has 8 threads, i&-4770, with 8GB RAM, and CUDA is not available. so maybe I need more horsepower...

I'm not sure how to track this down, and when I re-open PWP there is no trace of the prior steps, of course.

If I can get this to happen with regularity, I'll report back, but it is happening often enough to be a bother.
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Re: Random crashes

Post by den »

Same thing happens to me, particularly after updating only the PWP 8.0.exe file... ...a previously saved session script will partially execute in the browser, progress stops, PWP disappears from the desktop... ...no warnings and no errors.

Upon restarting PWP8 and re-running the same script with the same image, it will generally fully execute... ...but perhaps not, stopping at a different point beyond the previous script stop...

De-fragging the hard disk and cleaning Registry [after a PWP 8.0.exe update install] seems to slow down the frequency of occurrences to a tolerable level...

...system is set for maximum performance.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
AMD A10-8700P 41 °C
Carrizo 28nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28); Threads 4; CUDA not availabe
Motherboard
HP 80AF (P0)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
512MB ATI AMD Radeon R6 Graphics (HP) 40 °C
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS541010A9E680 (SATA) 28 °C
Optical Drives
hp DVDRW DU8A6SH

There seems to be no specific cause so I have stopped reporting these incidents, thinking as MarkT that it is a local system performance issue.

Recently, I have been heavily using PWP7's Stack Images and it has crashed as well... ...disappearing from the desktop with no warnings and no errors... ...but again not always at the same point and repeatable.

PWP 8.0.exe's [181106 update] Stack Images has crashed as well... ...but again not always at the same point and repeatable.

I can supply *.dmp files if helpful... ...I do not have the knowledge nor software to analyze them.

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I believe there is a problem with mask undo/redo and I have also seen a few crashes, but have not been able to figure out exactly what causes it. This would explain why it does not recur when you run a script.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I just fixed a couple of bugs in Mask for the next release, one of which was pretty serious. Hopefully this version will be more stable.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

In using the program heavily for a week I did have it crash once while masking.

I have since found at least one remaining situation in which masking crashes repeatably:

1) Create a new mask
2) Use the mask paint tool
3) Click OK to close the transformation
4) Double-click the transformation to re-open it
5) Click Edit Mask
6) Click Reset Mask - mask does not erase
7) Crashes on closing dialog

I hope to be able to track this one done within a day or two. In the meantime caveat emptor.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color