Lens Distortion is landscape/portrait dependent

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Lens Distortion is landscape/portrait dependent

Post by Winfried »

I created a lens distortion profil for my old SMC Pentax-A 1 zu 2,8 15mm. The profiling image was taken landscape and works quite well.
To use the profile with photos taken in portrait I have to turn 90 degree the image first to get good results.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available
jsachs

Re: Lens Distortion is landscape/portrait dependent

Post by jsachs »

I am a little surprised to hear this. As a test, I created an 8 x 12 checkerboard image and applied lens distortion to it. I then rotated it, applied the same lens distortion, and rotated it back and compared the two images and they were identical.

The only reason I can think of that this would not be true is if you accidentally moved the control point that marks the center of the image since the lens distortion model is purely radial.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Winfried
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K1

Re: Lens Distortion is landscape/portrait dependent - Solved

Post by Winfried »

I guess, I found the reason for my problem:
After loading the lens profile, I used to hit the compute button. It doesn't harm, if the orientation of the image is equal to the orientation of the image I used to create the profil. If the orientation is different, a new (different) profil is created and applied and the results are different.
Problem solved.
Winfried
-----
migrated to Windows 10 in Nov. 2019
PWP Pro 64
CUDA not available