Wow

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Wow

Post by MarkT »

Wow, I go away for a couple of weeks, and now I can't keep up with all the improvements Jonathan has been producing... it's fantastic!

I do have a question about the use of Nik plug-ins: I have the Nik collection installed (C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection), and I have used this in the new File|plug-in setup, but PWP does not seem to recognize this folder?
Nik_plug-in_001.jpg
Nik_plug-in_001.jpg (82.81 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
I can use the various Nik editors as stand-alone, so maybe there is something I need to do so PWP can connect to them?

Otherwise, I'm blown away with all the new (recent) functions and improvements. Kudos Mr. Sachs - PWP8 is really coming along.
jsachs

Re: Wow

Post by jsachs »

This only works with the latest Nik plugin versions from DxO ($69 for the set) -- it looks like you are using the earlier free Google versions. The Picture Window code is specific to the filenames of the executables as follows:

Analog Efex Pro 2.exe
Color Efex Pro 4.exe
Dfine2.exe
HDR Efex Pro 2.exe
SHP3OS.exe
SHP3RPS.exe
Silver Efex Pro 2.exe
Viveza 2.exe

You might experiment with making a copy of the plug-in folder and renaming the exe files.

If you can send me a copy of the Google versions I may be able to modify the code to work with either one. I have an even earlier version (1.2.15) I purchased from Nik just before Google bought them, but I'm not sure its the same as the Google version. Google was nice enough to refund my purchase price, however.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Actually, it does work with the Google versions of the plugins since, except for the install folder, the pathnames have not changed, but unless you have an image open, they are all grayed out since there is nothing for them to operate on.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Okay, it's good to know this will work with the Google versions, but with an open image I see the list of Nik applications, but when I chose one it asks where to save, then I get an error pop-up message. (I'm away from my desk, I can post an image of the error late today).
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I must be doing something wrong... If I set the Nik Plugin Folder path to "C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection" nothing happens, the options are grayed-out. So I set the path to "C:\Users\Acer\Desktop\Nik Collection", where I have shortcuts for the Nik apps, and when I select an application to use, I get asked to choose a Save location and filename, and then this error:
Nik_save_error_001.jpg
Nik_save_error_001.jpg (170.23 KiB) Viewed 2769 times
An image is saved where I indicated, but no editing was performed.

I have the desktop folder setup so I can drag-and-drop images onto the shortcuts, which then open the Nik application for editing... The Google/Nik Collection folder is a list of folders, with the applications in each of their own folders. Not sure if PWP is able to search within the folders, or needs the applications listed all together in one folder. (I'm obviously guessing at how all this plugin stuff works...)
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I installed the plugins to C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection, which is the default location, and they worked fine here. If the individual Nik plug-ins are grayed out, it means either you have no image selected or the plug-ins were not found in their normal locations. If you move the plug-ins around or try to execute them via shortcuts, PWP will not be able to find them unless you preserve the folder hierarchy.

For example, Color Efex Pro 4 should be located at:

C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Color Efex Pro 4\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\Color Efex Pro 4.exe
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I haven't changed the locations after installing, for instance:

C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Color Efex Pro 4\Color Efex Pro 4 (64-Bit)\Color Efex Pro 4.exe ...

And the Nik Plugin Folder path is: C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection

But when I open an image and try to select a Nik app, the options are there but grayed-out:
Nik_plug-in_002.jpg
Nik_plug-in_002.jpg (183.04 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Not a huge problem, as I can successfully run the apps as standalone...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

On possible issue is that you may need to close PWP after settings the plug-ins folder and then restart it to get the plug-ins to not be grayed out.

I will fix this for the next release. Hopefully it will work OK for you after trying this.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

That must have been it - modified and saved the settings, closed PWP, opened PWP, open an image, slelect a plug-in, and voila, all is well.

Thank you.