Bug fix release 20-Sep-2018

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

jsachs

Bug fix release 20-Sep-2018

Post by jsachs »

I have posted a new release (20-Sep-2018) in full installer and executable-only versions. Minor changes to help file.

The changes (taken from the update log) are:

Layout: fixed problem of snap and display grid not being restored when loading default settings and other problems with images too large to fit in layout.

Layout: fixed problem with Panel size matches image dimensions setting – final image did not match preview.

Layout: renamed the various panel options for more clarity and updated the help file. Added two new options: Fit to panel – scale to image dimensions and Fit to panel – scale 1:1. When these options are selected, the image is scaled accordingly and then cropped to fit the panel size.

Bilateral Sharpen: fixed problem with amount mask not being restored after loading settings file.

Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Re: Bug fix release 20-Sep-2018

Post by davidh »

The last two of the new methods are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, indeed.

However there are two flaws:
1. The orientation arrows put the cropping rectangle back to its initial position in the lower left corner.

There is still the problem with transparent panels. However this time I seem to have found more about it. Sometimes it happens like this:

1. add a new panel
2. leave it empty (gray)
3. add another panel -> it will be transparent

Remove the gray empty panel and the transparent becomes gray.
All additional panels will then be transparent.
Sometimes helps to remove the empty gray panel, and then add a new one, but mostly not.

Removing all panels and starting afresh does not help either.
The first panel will be gray, but even if you load an image into it, the next panel will be transparent.

Only reliable solution is to close an reopen Layout.

---

One comment:
When you remove all panels and then add a new one, the Options are reset to the default Fit in panel, even when the user default is different.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, it sounds like we are getting closer to something usable. The orientation and transparent panel problems should not be hard to fix.

>> When you remove all panels and then add a new one, the Options are reset to the default Fit in panel, even when the user default is different.

There are no global default panel properties that apply to the entire layout, just settings for each panel. When you create a new panel it inherits its properties from the current panel, if any. If there is no current panel, then it uses system defaults. Maybe it should work differently, but Layout has always worked this way. I could imaging a Save as Default button in panel properties with new panels inheriting the default properties instead of a copy of the current panel's properties, but I'm not sure this would be a better solution as this is useful when you want to quickly create several panels with the same properties.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

You are right. The system default for the initial panel is OK. I do not think an additional default button is neccessary.

By the way, I have just found out that if you add the initial panel, leave it empty (gray) and save all this As Default Settings or into a settings file to load later, the Option setting is saved as well.
So the only situation when the system default is loaded seems to be when all the panels are removed.