Browser Properties

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Robert Schleif

Browser Properties

Post by Robert Schleif »

In reading the Picture Window Pro.chm help manual for PWP 8, I've not yet begun trying PWP 8 itself, I am uncertain about the behavior of the Image Browser. With it can you "open" or see all at once all the image files image files in a directory as you can in PWP 7? I certainly hope this is the case as I would like to retain the ability to see any of my images that are in a directory in the main image area simply by clicking once on the image's thumbnail and not to have to go through a longer selection process to open and examine each image separately.
I am also uncertain about the ability to collapse branches, somewhat like what davidh was suggesting on Sept. 2, 2018, but leave only the original image or the final image of a branch.
jsachs

Re: Browser Properties

Post by jsachs »

The PWP 8 image browser is altogether different the PWP 7 image browser as it does not let you browse thumbnail images of file on the disk. It only displays currently open images and is integral to using PWP 8 effectively. There is a help topic dedicated exclusively to the image browser in the help file.

Creating and maintaining the PWP 7 browse was very inefficient and could take a very long time to update for large image files as well as easily getting out of sync with the folders, and it has therefore not been carried over into PWP 8.

Take a look at some other stand-alone free image management software such as FastStone Image Viewer (http://www.faststone.org). You can drag images from FastStone to PWP8 and drop them on the image browser or into the main image area. Similarly, if you work with raw files, you can configure most raw converters to pass files directly to PWP 8 once they have been converted to TIFF. There is another section of the help file (under Reference) that deals with integrating PWP 8 with other programs.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Robert Schleif

Re: Browser Properties

Post by Robert Schleif »

OK
If a file association is set in Windows from tif to PWP, the Windows File Explorer works well for picking images to edit and opening them in PWP.
Canon's raw processor, DPP also transfers tif images directly into PWP.