Feather not workiing

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

AHuntley
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: unknown

Feather not workiing

Post by AHuntley »

Transformation>Gray>Adjust

After making a couple changes, creating a mask, clicking on Feather, moving slider all the way to the right (well...anywhere along the scale...I just wanted to make sure I could see it), and clicking Apply does nothing.
Regards,
AlanH
AHuntley

Re: Feather not workiing

Post by AHuntley »

Never mind. I had the thought that the image I was working on was too high of a resolution to actually see the feathering at default zoom factor on the split preview. Tried it, again, with the preview zoomed to 100% and saw the feather apply, as expected.
Regards,
AlanH
AHuntley

Post by AHuntley »

Okay, something is strange with the feathering or I just don't understand what I should be seeing...

1. Used the transformation, as described above, but this time I used Color Range (vs brush last time) to select a sky area, then applied feather. Why is the feathering so different between when the brush is used to create a mask and when Color Range is used? With the brush mask, going all the way to the right (64) results in a very mild feather; with the Color Range mask, near as I can tell it really doesn't matter where the slider is set, the resulting feathering is pretty wide--significantly wider than the brush mask feathering...more like what I'd expect when blurring a mask.

2. After creating the Color Range mask, I returned to the Adjust transformation and made curve changes to H, S, and V. When I clicked OK the program crashed.
Regards,
AlanH
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

When you are feathering a brushed mask - unless you used a totally hard-edged brush - the edges of the region are soft. Feathering a soft region has a much more subtle effect than feathering a hard-edged region.

I can't reproduce the crash here based on your description. Please email me a file it fails on and a workspace script that includes all the operations you performed on the image and instructions for getting it to crash. A screen shot of your main window just before the crash would also be helpful.

Also, make sure you have enough RAM and virtual memory so you are not running out of memory, unlikely as this may be.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
AHuntley

Post by AHuntley »

I figured out why I was confused with the feathering... I was working on a landscape image using the Adjust transformation to slightly darken and slightly increase saturation in the sky. I created a mask using Color Range, but the reason it looked like the feathering was going wild is because the bare branches of trees in the middle ground have quite a bit of blue present which I didn't notice. Therefore, those small branches were selected, too, and when I applied the feather it appeared to be extending way down into the trees which I wasn't expecting. Anyway, my bad. It's working fine.

I will try to reproduce the crash, if I can.
Regards,
AlanH