Sharpening request & possible issue

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

AHuntley
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: unknown

Sharpening request & possible issue

Post by AHuntley »

I don't know if we're allowed to ask for added features at this point in the process, but when shaprening, I like to preview the results at different zoom levels--mostly 1:2 and 1:1; occasionally, 1:4. When activating any of the sharpening transformations, even though I have the image zoomed to, say, 1:1 before entering the transformation and have the "Display Preview" button pushed in the transformation, the actual image (not the tiny preview window in the transformation) zooms back out to fit to screen. IMO, the tiny preview window in the transformation doesn't show you much.

I don't think this is an issue, but, maybe, the documentation isn't correct. According to the Help info, when I save a workspace it goes into C:/Users/<user name>/AppData/Local..., but I have no such path on my computer. I know the workspace was saved because PWP asks me if I wish to open it. What am I missing here?
Regards,
AlanH
jsachs

Re: Sharpening request & possible issue

Post by jsachs »

With regard to sharpening, note that you can enlarge the preview area by resizing the dialog box, and you can move it around the image by clicking on the input image to re-center on a different location. I will look into the default behavior of the Display Preview button which probably should not zoom to fit.

Most likely, you do have the workspace folder, but unless you go into Windows Explorer's View options and turn on Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives, Windows will not show it to you.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
AHuntley

Post by AHuntley »

Thanks for the reminder that I can enlarge the dialog box, but I can still only view the sharpening at 100%, correct? I many times like to view sharpening effects at 50% because what looks too "crunchy" at 100% often leads to backing off on the sharpening which isn't necessarily what you want when printing.

Yep, I knew about "Hidden Items" but forgot I had turned it off for something else I was doing.
Regards,
AlanH
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The preview area in the dialog is only 100%, but is very fast. To see the results at some other zoom factor you need to click the Display Preview button above the preview in the dialog, which recalculates the entire image at full resolution and then resamples the result for display in the main image area at whatever zoom factor is current. As you point out, a zoom to fit is also being performed which I need to turn off so the zoom factor is preserved when you update the output image.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
AHuntley

Post by AHuntley »

Thanks, Jonathan, having the main preview area reveal the sharpening at whatever zoom factor I have set is exactly what I want.
Regards,
AlanH
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I just finished implementing this for the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color