Color_Balance comparison - Ver 7 to 8

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Color_Balance comparison - Ver 7 to 8

Post by MarkT »

Just curious about the difference between how Color Balance in Ver 7 works compared to Multi Color Balance in Ver 8.
color_Balance_comparison.jpg
color_Balance_comparison.jpg (140.07 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
Ver 7 seems to protect the highlights more so than Ver 8, but maybe there's more to it?
jsachs

Re: Color_Balance comparison - Ver 7 to 8

Post by jsachs »

The difference is unintentional - other than some minor differences in how the auto black and white points are computed, I think it's a color management problem when doing the color space conversion while reading the original file.

I remember now when I was converting over the color management code that handles a mismatch between the file profile and the working color space that I noticed a bug in PWP 7 and that the conversion was being done incorrectly. I think this may account for the difference. On the other hand, the screen display from PWP 7 much more closely matches what Photoshop displays, so maybe PWP 7 was doing it right.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Double check that your copies of PWP7 and PWP8 are using the same color management assumed profile, working color space, monitor profile and proofing profile settings. There was a problem with PWP7 not picking up the system monitor profile correctly, so make sure you set it manually. I fixed a few minor problems and I think I am getting the same results now with both versions, so check again with the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Here's the settings:
color_management_ver8.jpg
color_management_ver8.jpg (45.66 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
color_management_ver7.jpg
color_management_ver7.jpg (48.08 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
I've just downloaded 4-July and it appears that Ver 8 and Ver 7 results now look pretty similar. I'll try a few test images and report if I find anything interesting...