MaskTool-ColorRange Overlay Apply "command" sometimes fails or crashes

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

MaskTool-ColorRange Overlay Apply "command" sometimes fails or crashes

Post by den »

Ref: PWP 8.0.exe 180627 with msi 180621

I have been experiencing intermittent failure to complete a manual or script command that utilizes the MaskTool-Color Range feature when attempting an Overlay Apply... ...the display will flicker and return to the previous command view or turn gray with a crash after approx. 1 sec.. This happens inconsistently, perhaps every third time... ...otherwise execution is normal.

If there is a crash, there is a "PWP 8.0.exe.*.dmp" file generated in the CrashDumps folder.

MaskTool-BrightnessCurve "command" Overlay Apply will also do this but with less frequency.

The *.dmp files when a crash occurs are around 10MB each, would they be useful for your analysis?

,,,den...
jsachs

Re: MaskTool-ColorRange Overlay Apply "command" sometimes fails or crashes

Post by jsachs »

Unfortunately the DMP files are not useful. The best way to find this kind of problem is for you to send me the input files and the script so I can reproduce it here. Running under the debugger usually catches problems before a crash occurs.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den

Post by den »

Script and a small and large sRGB jpg images here: http://www.l7.org/IMAGEs_by_DEN/misc/PWP8_180627/.

The small image is PWPs color hexagon and shows what the script for saturation increase does.

Detailed documentation description and links have been posted here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1566

...den...

Addendum: Manually doing a MaskTool-ColorRange Overlay Apply seems to be the most consistent failure to execute rather then running the script.
davidh

Post by davidh »

I have also exprienced the display going gray but also the buttons in the main menu bar disappearing with only black rectangles left with the connection to using a mask tool.
It happened when I used the Mask transformation dialog and played with the mask paint tool. The PWP did not crash and when I closed the Mask transformation dialog, the preview and buttons recovered. However, after reopening the Mask transformation dialog, the New mask... command repeatedly failed to open the Mask dialog. I only flashed for a fraction of a second and disappeared.

I tried to reproduce it and was mosty successful. All I did was painting with large radius changing other setings like Spacing, Overlapping Strokes and Apply to.
This looks a bit like a memory problem. Not sure if this has the same root cause.
den

Post by den »

I have added a script that contains a MaskTool-BrightnessCurve sequence to the available download link: http://www.l7.org/IMAGEs_by_DEN/misc/PWP8_180627/ that duplicates the Color Range Mask except masking is executed using the Brightness Curve feature.

Thank you davidh for your additional input...

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I did find and fix a resource leak in the Mask Paint tool for the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den

Post by den »

ref: PWP 8.0.exe 180630

I still sometimes crash when running scripts containing a mask_mode Overlay command after an initial mask_mode Add command.

Additionally, when forming a mask manually, mask_mode's Subtract, Overlay, and Invert do not function... ...the display blinks and reverts to the initial Add mask or sometimes crashes (sometimes when closing the mask window).

...den...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I have fixed the mask range tool not working in some modes for the next release, but I cannot reproduce a crash. If it persists, please send me the actual image it is crashing on, the script that causes the crash, and a copy of your preferences settings file.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color