Crop re-processing ignores the cropping rectangle

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Crop re-processing ignores the cropping rectangle

Post by davidh »

I have discovered that when I used two Crop transformations, saved it in a script and opened the script, the settings of the second - smaller crop were ignored and both crops had the same dimensions. I investigated a bit more and found that even the first crop did not keep the dimensions I made with the cropping rectangle, and came out a bit larger but no as large as its input image.

After some more looking into it, I have understood that when the crop transformation is re-processed, it applies what is set in Proportion setting as its default setting. Proportions at that time were set to 13x18, but even though I dragged the cropping rectangle smaller, the image was on re-processing cropped off only where it did not fit into full image 13x18 proportions. Once I set Proportions to "factory" default Arbitrary, the both crops were re-processed correctly. The problem is that with Arbitrary setting you cannot use predefined proportions.
jsachs

Re: Crop re-processing ignores the cropping rectangle

Post by jsachs »

I understand the problem - I may have to rethink how the cropping rectangle is specified in the command line.

If you crop an image to 4x5 for example and then adjust the cropping rectangle by resizing and moving it while retaining the proportions, what would you then expect to happen if you apply the same settings to a different image with different dimensions and proportions?

There are two options I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Restore the cropping rectangle in the same relative position in the image but set the proportions to Arbitrary if the new image has different dimensions.

2) Save the coordinates of the center of the crop box and its width, height and rotation angle. When applying the settings, preserve the proportions, center and rotation angle of the crop box while adjusting the width and height somehow.

Either of these would restore the crop box location if the new image has the same dimensions as the old one, but they work differently if the new image has different dimensions.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I decided to go with option 1 - not just because it is easier to implement, but also because it is easier to explain and understand how it works.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I am sorry for the delayed reaction.

Anyway, what I would like to have preserved for another image with the same
dimensions and proportions is the predefined Proportions setting, such as 4x5, 11x17 etc.

---------

If another image has different dimensions or proportions, it will probably have a different composition so setting proportions to Arbitrary as is suggested in the option 1 is quite convenient. Still, it would be nice to have some information that the current proportions are not really arbitrary.

Let me explain it on the workaround I used to make sure the dimensions of a 13x18 rectangle were preserved after reprocessing:

1. set the proportions to 13x18 and adjust the cropping rectangle -> the Custom Width/Height fields show 13 by 18
2. change the proportions to Arbitrary -> the Custom Width/Height fields still show integers 13 by 18, no conversion to decimals yet
3. save it in a script or just click OK

Now, when you open the script or insert another transformation before the crop output, you see that the crop output retains its dimensions but Custom Width/Height fields now show decimals 0.723 by 1.000, which is logical as the proportions are Arbitrary.

So the information that the setting Arbitrary is not really arbitrary would be to show those integers instead of decimals until different proportions were choosen or the cropping rectangle was modified.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Yes, that is what I implemented for the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color