A weird printout

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

A weird printout

Post by davidh »

I tried to print an image A4 using Monitor/Printer Curves.

First I printed a few small print patches about 2 X 5 cm to tune the colors. Everything went OK.
Then I set the print for a A4 rotated (landscape) printout.
Image size: 22 x 15 cm,
Scale: to image dimension
Center aligned
Printer Curves: my user curves

When I clicked on the OK button, nothing happened.I thought I missed the button so I clicked again but nothing happened again. I am not sure if I clicked the third time, but since nothing was happennig, I closed the print dialog, reopened it, clicked OK and this time the print started. To my surprise, however, the printout was composed of three vertical columns or parts. The left one was OK, the middle one was shifted about up and part of it was cyan colored and part was magneta colored. The right one was shifted down and a part was cyan colored and a part was OK. There were also some small verticall rectangles about 3 x 1 cm containing parts of the image along the right border of the image.

I doubt that the number of my printing attempts can have anything to do with the number of the image parts, but I mentioned it because, what if..
jsachs

Re: A weird printout

Post by jsachs »

Does this happen repeatably?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

This was the first time I tried to print something larger then those small print patches for testing Monitor and Printer Curves with PWP8.
I then printed the same image with PWP 7 without any problem.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

If you try it again with the same image does it happen again? I have not been able to reproduce it here.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Me too

Post by Charles2 »

I had a similar problem. I printed a 48-bit .tif file on 11-by-17 inch paper. The image itself was set up to occupy half the page. The print came out as a stack of six bands, each one with wildly different colors, except the middle band was accurate and the last band was black and white. As best as I could figure, the colors on the other found bands look like one or more of CYMK removed. I couldn't remember enough of what I did or might have done to report the issue. But if you wish, Jonathan, I'll send you a photo of the print.

For now, I revert to PWP7 to execute the print operation.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

There were problems with some earlier versions, but it seems to be working here now with every image I try.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I am not sure now, but I think it was the release Alpha 9-Jun.
I will soon try again another print.
By the way is there any difference except the extensions betveen PWP 7 and PWP 8 Monitor and Printer curves? Does it make sense to transfer the PWP 7 curves to PWP 8 folder or is it better to try reproduce them in PWP 8?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

The formats are similar, but the PWP 8 versions support Unicode and have a byte order mark header at the beginning. PWP 8 will read PWP 7 monitor curves files but PWP 7 will not read PWP 8 files.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

I just tried to print another A4 format but this time when the printing did not start after I clicked OK, I cancelled it.
Then I changed to a different custom profile. The printing started immediately but I got a similarily banded printout again.
By the way the custom profile that needed repeated clickings on OK button has the extension .icc.

So as not to waste too much ink and photo papers I switched to a PDF Printer and changed different custom profiles to see what I get.
When None custom profile was selected the pdf printout looked as expected, however, once a custom profile was choosen the printout resulted in either a blank white page or there was a single narrow horizontal bar across the page.
I realize that a PDF printer and standard ink printer are two completely different things, and their outputs cannot be compared, but perhaps this might help as a clue.

All printed images are 24-bit.

One more comment:
Now I remember that in one moment I wanted to compare print patches from PWP 8 and PWP 7 so I had both open. When I printed the same patch in PWP 7 I got a very redish patch. After I closed PWP 8 and repated the print in PWP 7 it came out OK.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Could you email me a copy of the printer profile you were using? jsachs@dl-c.com.

Other potentially relevant information:

screen shot of PWP Print dialog box and screen shot of PWP Color Management dialog box for an image that fails to print correctly.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color