Input bypass button blocks output bypass button?

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

davidh

Input bypass button blocks output bypass button?

Post by davidh »

Alpha 19-Apr.

The input image bypass button sometimes interferes with its output bypass button.
Here I demostrate it using Color Balance and Rotate-Mirror. Color Balance (predecessor) transformation effect seems to be OK and is left out of the description.

load an image
run Color Balance -> output CB
run Rotate-Mirror on CB (rotated upside down) -> output RM
turn CB + RM off (RM rotates upside up as expected)
turn CB on
turn RM on -> it stays upside up no matter how you toggle it
turn CB + RM off again
turn RM on -> no change - still upside up (it should rotate upside down)
turn CB on -> RM rotates upside down (it should NOT rotate the image) and now you can rotate it again

However it is not always that straightforward. Sometimes it goes the other way round: turning CB off enables RM toggling.
I did not test it further, but the order the buttons were switched on/off, or the transformation status on/off relative to the predecessor's bypass button status will also play some role.
jsachs

Re: Input bypass button blocks output bypass button?

Post by jsachs »

I think if you look carefully you will see it is working OK, but you need to pay close attention to which image is highlighted, i.e. current since it is the current image that is displayed in the image area. Clicking the bypass button in the image browser does NOT make the corresponding image current. There are arguments for and against this:

On the one hand, this means you can leave an last image selected (and even leave its transformation dialog open) and toggle the bypass buttons on any of the upstream images to see how they affect the result without having the click on the image every time to see the result.

On the other hand, as you have seen, there is an implicit expectation that clicking anywhere on an image in the image browser makes it current, and it can be confusing when you click on the bypass button and the image does not become current.

I have experimentally implemented for the next release right-click on the bypass icon in the image browser to toggle bypass without making the image current, and left click to toggle and make it current. If this does not work out I can try something else.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

You are right, now I see it. It makes sense. Even so, I think this (or the final solution) deserves some brief note in final version of Help.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

Yes, I updated the help file with left/right click info.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
davidh

Post by davidh »

Alpha 20-Apr.

Sorry to return back to that but only now I have found that you have missed my point, and I clearly missed that you had missed it. You were talking about what was happening in the image area depending on the focus position in the image browser. I then mistakenly assumed that the focus played some role in what I was trying to describe. But it did not.

Anyway, the new feature with the mouse left or right click on the bypass button made it easier for me to follow the steps.

Again I tested it with two outputs:
Color Balance (CB) transformation effect does not matter
Rotate-Mirror (RM) transformation effect is upside DOWN

I always used the right mouse button so there is no change of focus which proves it has no influence on the bypass funcion. The focus is all the time on RM.

Start with the following positions of the bypass buttons:
CB is on,
RM is off, current, upside UP (transformation switched off)

then:

1. turn CB off
2. turn RM on -> no change - still upside UP, it should turn upside DOWN, switching on/off does nothing with the CB off
3. leave RM on
4. turn CB on -> now RM turns upside DOWN
5. switching RM on/off works

6. leave RM on - upside DOWN
7. turn CB off -> switching RM on/off works with the CB off

8. turn RM off - upside UP
9. turn CB on
10. turn RM on -> no change, see 1

As I already suggested in the original post, the transformation yes/no status of the output does seem to play some role.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, I found the problem and have fixed it for the next release. Toggling bypass did not recalc the current image if it had been bypassed.

FYI, one other variable that come into play is whether you leave the dialog boxes open or have clicked OK to close them, since recalc does not advance beyond an open transformation until you click Apply.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color