Cloning question - and a crash

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

MarkT

Cloning question - and a crash

Post by MarkT »

I notice different behaviour when cloning in PWP8 from PWP7. Make a selection, then click+hold to paint the selection over a wider area. In PWP7, the selection picks up the "new" pixels, while PWP8 picks up the "old" pixels... Here's some pictures to illustrate:

PWP7
clone_pwp7_small.jpg
clone_pwp7_small.jpg (265.45 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
PWP8
clone_pwp8_small.jpg
clone_pwp8_small.jpg (181.92 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
I'd prefer the way PWP7 handles it, but I'm wondering if the change was deliberate?

Also, I found that when making this example, when the mouse drags beyond the edge of the image window PWP8 crashes.
jsachs

Re: Cloning question - and a crash

Post by jsachs »

You're right - it's not supposed to work that way.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Hi Jonathan,
Just installed 20-April-2018, and it seems that the cloning has reverted to its previous state - copying the old pixels instead of the new pixels...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I haven't fixed that yet, just the out of bounds crashing. Don't worry, I have it on my list.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I came back to this and realized I had misunderstood your original post.

Yes, the difference is deliberate.

In PWP8, when cloning an image onto itself, pixels are taken from the results of the previous strokes instead of from the current image. This avoids the problem of overlapping source and target areas causing the same part of the image to be repeated over and over as you drag the tool, which is seldom a desirable effect. As long as the source and target areas do not overlap, PWP8 should be the same as PWP7.
Clone.jpg
Clone.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 3164 times
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

I guess I've gotten used to how PWP7 does cloning. PWP7 is different from other software is in this respect, and I find that when replacing large areas of texture the method used in PWP7 makes it much easier:
clone_detail_pwp7-1.jpg
clone_detail_pwp7-1.jpg (183.02 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
The way PWP8 (and other programs) does cloning, means more work, in this type of situation:
clone_detail_pwp8-1.jpg
clone_detail_pwp8-1.jpg (158.41 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
I'm wondering if this might be something that could be an "option" for the tool. To be able to switch between the cloning methods depending on the situation?
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

While I think the method you are using only works in a very limited number of cases, I have added a setting (Overlapped On/Off) to the Clone tool so you can set it back the way it used to be (by turning Overlapped On).
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
MarkT

Post by MarkT »

Thank you very much Jonathan!