Mask and operation time issue

Please use this forum to post bug reports, feature requests, tips, etc. for beta versions of Picture Window Pro 8

Moderator: jsachs

Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Mask and operation time issue

Post by Charles2 »

Apparently, we cannot make a mask until we begin a transformation. One consequence is that every applied mask operation entails waiting for the transformation to recalculate, too. For example, I open Equalize and begin a mask by brightness curve. Every time I add or move a point on the brightness curve, the rather long Equalize recalculation occurs.

In PWP7 I can define a mask before I open the Equalize transformation. The latter recalculates only when I move its Amount slider.

PWP8 challenges me to get a faster machine? Intel Core i-5 at 3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit Windows 7.
jsachs

Re: Mask and operation time issue

Post by jsachs »

You can make up to four masks without a transformation using Transformation/Masks. The resulting masks can then be selected from the Amount control when you need them.

PWP8 is definitely more of a memory hog, but the performance should be roughly the same as PWP7 although at this point I have not spent much time optimizing performance or eliminating redundant operations and screen refreshes.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote:You can make up to four masks without a transformation using Transformation/Masks.
Great! I should read the f* manual - even before you finish writing the f* manual.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

This is why I probably need to do a few video tutorials -- there are a number of hidden features that can make life a lot easier.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2

Post by Charles2 »

Curses on videos. Text is so much easier to study an important paragraph, zip through a paragraph not relevant to me now, etc.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I hear you - how many would prefer written tutorials to video?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

Post by den »

written please...

...easier to highlight/ascertain updates/changes and for the reasons Charles2 preferences...

...den...
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Post by HanSch »

Yes, written please.....
If it doesn't consume too much of your time, precious time...
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

OK, written is easier to write and a lot easier to edit to keep up to date.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2

Post by Charles2 »

jsachs wrote:You can make up to four masks without a transformation using Transformation/Masks
Still confused. A mask made this way still seems to be attached to one of the images, the one that was highlighted when clicking on Transformation/Mask. Then if I go work on another image, perhaps in another column of the history window, it seems I have no access to that mask. PWP7 offered full flexibility of grabbing masks from wherever (checking automatically that the mask fits on the image), and that seems to be lost now.