PWP 7.0.7-32 -- Defringe - stops working

This forum is closed to new entries. Please use the Picture Window Support forum instead.

Moderators: ksinkel, jsachs

den
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Canon EOS-350D/Fuji X100T

PWP 7.0.7-32 -- Defringe - stops working

Post by den »

I have experienced three intermittent instances where after extended usage of the Defringe transform with Auto Preview checked and a 3456x2304, 48-bit color image that the transform stops working... ...the Preview does not update regardless of setting changes made or shift-left clicking on the Amount Mask button to blink Preview. There are no error/warning dialogs.

Memory and CPU usage remains low with no sudden surges or change.

Edit 1: Number of threads = 4; 2053 MB swap file space.

Closing the transform and re-opening will restore it... ...or closing the session and re-opening the program will also restore it.

Additionally... ...Off Topic suggestions for this transform:
(1) change the default Preview zoom to 1:1 to match the Chromatic Aberration transform

(2) add this to the Workflow available widgets... ...it would make a terrific companion to the ChromaticAberration widget when both are used sequentially [CA, then Defringe] and with 'breakpoints' in a Workflow.

...den...
Vista 32 Home Premium, SP2, latest version/updates
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ processor
3 GB DDR2 dual channel RAM
2 MB ReadyBoost Cache
500GB hard drive with 100GB free space
ksinkel

Re: PWP 7.0.7-32 -- Defringe - stops working

Post by ksinkel »

Just a note on available widgets: There is a Defringe widget. It is under Color in the Widget menu of the Workflow window.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

This should be fixed for the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Defringe volatility

Post by Charles2 »

I used the new Defringe transformation to remove purple fringing on shadowed twigs against sky. Very good result!

The effect was nil at amount 0.2% and full at the small amount 0.3%. Not a problem. However, if the behavior is not related to the bug reported above, I mention it in case you want to note add a line to the instructions.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

I'm not sure I understand -- in examples I have here, the defringe effect phases in smoothly from nothing at 0% to full at 100%.

Were you using a mask? Can you post a small piece of the image and give the settings you were using?
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color
Charles2
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-Pro 2

Post by Charles2 »

Yes, it happened with a mask made with a blur of roughly 30, not when I switched back to no mask. I thought the blur region did not go into the area affected by defringing, but that was judged by eye, so who knows.

Probably behavior too obscure to worry about.