Font size and Histogram Tool

This forum is closed to new entries. Please use the Picture Window Support forum instead.

Moderators: ksinkel, jsachs

davidh

Font size and Histogram Tool

Post by davidh »

Depending on the font scale factor setting in Preferences the Histogram Tool shows irregularities in the grid. Upper image: scale factor from about 97% to 113%.
As the font gets larger, over 113%, and Histogram Tool box gets wider, the histogram inevitably stretches out with white gaps, however this can be misleading because the tool box is at its default width and cannot be made narrower. It creates an impression that the histogram is sparse even though the image has enough information in it. The lower image.

PWP 70.6. 64, Win 7 64.
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster XL20, resolution 1600 x 1200 (Recommended)
David
Attachments
Histogram2.png
Histogram2.png (5.48 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Dieter Mayr
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Nikon D700

Re: Font size and Histogram Tool

Post by Dieter Mayr »

I have noted this too, running at fontsize 116% at a screen res of 1920 x 1080.
To my opinion it would be vey useful if the vertical "bars" of the histogram could be made wider when the histogram window is made bigger in width, so that there are gaps in the histogram just where actual gaps are, and not just because the "bars" are thin.
Another thing i would like to suggest for Histogram is the vertical scale. It is divided in 10 sections, but when the histogram is expanded the vertical axis is not linear anymore, could the sections follow this unlinearity ? Like on a logarithmic paper? So that at the bottom the distance is wider then on the top, accordingly to the expansion ?
It would be easier to read a expanded histogram, to my opinion.
Dieter Mayr
davidh

Post by davidh »

One more comment, more cosmetic than functional. There seem to be a change in the font type in PWP 7.0.6, which is a little bit pity because the previous one made better use of its "allocated" space. Perhaps it was necessary because of the proportionality of the font?
The first image is from PWP 7.0.5. The upper and middle parts of the second image are from the PWP 7.0.6 Color Picker at font scales 113% and 115%. The bottom part is from the PWP 6.0.10 Color Picker.
David
Attachments
PWP 7.0.5
PWP 7.0.5
Font PWP 705.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
PWP 7.0.6,  PWP 7.0.6, PWP 6.0.10,
PWP 7.0.6, PWP 7.0.6, PWP 6.0.10,
Font size.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 4633 times
Last edited by davidh on March 22nd, 2013, 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
jsachs

Post by jsachs »

These problems have all been fixed in the next release.
Jonathan Sachs
Digital Light & Color