Exif support

This forum is closed to new entries. Please use the Picture Window Support forum instead.

Moderators: ksinkel, jsachs

JvdW
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G5

Exif support

Post by JvdW »

Hi,

Good to see that PWP is still improving.
I have one minor issue with the way PWP treats EXIF data. Several values get stripped when PWP does a save as. This is no big deal, but it is a bit annoying because I use a third party image database program which uses EXIF fields to store information. This information gets lost every time I edit an image. Also several IPTC fields get blanked.
I know that EXIF is a very clumsy standard and it is probably impossible to keep up with al the variations that are around, but would it be possible to minimise the changes that PWP does to the EXIF data? It seems that only a very limited set of data is transfered during a save as.
Would it be possible to transfere the entire EXIF header to the new file and only change those fields that are afflicted by the edit?

John
ksinkel

Re: Exif support

Post by ksinkel »

John,

Which fields are you referring to?

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
JvdW
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Panasonic Lumix G5

Post by JvdW »

Hi Kiril,

I did some analysis with exiftool and found that all fields which I miss after using PWP are XMP tags.
The blanked IPTC fields I noticed earlier are all XMP iptcCore Tags. Also the image database information is stored in XMP tags.

So my question should be: is it possible to transfer all XMP fields from the source file? Even if the tags are not standard?

John
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

We have considered XMP support, but there are no plans to add it in this release.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color