File name edits cleared by type change in Save Image

This forum is closed to new entries. Please use the Picture Window Support forum instead.

Moderators: ksinkel, jsachs

dbd

File name edits cleared by type change in Save Image

Post by dbd »

After editing a file, when I try to save using File -> Save As

I edit the file name, select a different 'Save as' type

When the new type is selected, the File name type suffix changes as selected, but the File name itself reverts to the unedited value.

This is occurring with PWP 64 v7.0.5 Beta under Windows7-64.

Dale B. Dalrymple
PerS
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Olympus E-3

Re: File name edits cleared by type change in Save Image

Post by PerS »

The same thing happens here (PWP 64 7.0.5 Beta, Windows7/64).
frankpix
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Fuji X-E3
Location: Bowie, MD, near Washington DC, Baltimore and Annapolis

Post by frankpix »

Same thing happens here with good ol' Windows XP.

Frank
ksinkel

Post by ksinkel »

Currently changing the file type initializes the dialog and resets the suggested filename. The benefit of this behavior is that if the suggested filename had a number added to it to avoid a filename conflict with an existing image that number can be cleared if it is not needed for the new extension. This means that simply changing the file type but keeping the same root name, requires no typing. On the other hand, if you intend to edit the filename, you should set the target file type first and then edit the name.

Kiril
Kiril Sinkel
Digital Light & Color
HanSch
What is the make/model of your primary camera?: Pentax K5, Pentax K3 Mk. iii

Post by HanSch »

I like the current, new behaviour. Countless times I have cleared an added number; that is solved now. The down side as described in the previous posts occurs much less often, in my opinion.
dbd

Post by dbd »

I was never a fan of the '-n' filename extension and I have learned to automatically remove it to insert something that makes sense in my own editing flow. When I started using PWP 7 I discovered that my cleverly planned :) edited filenames and edited files were disappearing on me. Many re-edits later and after comparison to my keystrokes in PWP 6 I found the cause. If I had suspected that I would get bitten by a sloppy cleanup of it later I'd have argued harder against it in the first place or paid attention to whether it was implemented in a sensible way.
by ksinkel on March 1st, 2013, 12:47 am
Currently changing the file type initializes the dialog and resets the suggested filename. The benefit of this behavior is that if the suggested filename had a number added to it to avoid a filename conflict with an existing image that number can be cleared if it is not needed for the new extension. This means that simply changing the file type but keeping the same root name, requires no typing. On the other hand, if you intend to edit the filename, you should set the target file type first and then edit the name.
1) If you want to clear the numerical extension you have added to a filename, why don't you -just- clear the numerical extension that you have just added to the filename (if it is still there) instead of destroying edits?

2) If you are going to allow destructive results to file edits from file type changes then the positioning of the objects in the window has been broken by your change in functionality. The change in file type area would need to be moved up above the filename entry area so that the screen workflow works from top to bottom again instead of destroying information you have already entered above and moved past. If "changing the file type initializes the dialog" then it needs to be above the rest of the dialog it initializes to make sense.

Please either 1) clean-up the altered functionality to fix only the problem you created by your decision to extend file names originally (preferred) or 2) reorder the screen' s workflow to put operations in a sensible order that will be easier to relearn.

Dale B. Dalrymple